Connecting to Azure from VS 2012 Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi  all of you,

I get this message:  "Could not reconnect to "westerneurope1-a". Make sure that the machine name and path are valid"

Server name: t4nji6dbdm.database.windows.net

I am trying to connect Azure server in order to create object in my recent created database from Visual Studio 2012->Tools->Connect to Server option.

Let me know where am I failing..

Enric

Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Enric, last month we released a version of SSDT with GA level support for Azure v12 in both VS2013 and VS2012. For VS2012, you can download the latest version from our Get It page (with VS2012 download here), or if you have ever updated before you can find this update from inside VS2012 – go to “SQL -> Check for Updates” and you should see there is a new update available that adds Azure v12 support.

Regards,

Kevin Cunnane,

SQL Server tools team

• Proposed as answer by pehkeongteh Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mekh Subba Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Enric,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Mekh.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:35 PM
  • Well, first of all think I need to install SSDT... I'm sorry, just give twenty minutes.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Hello Enric,

Sure you can install the SSDT and then give a try but instead of connect to server please use connect to database option as might be the chances are connect to server is checking for the physical machine name or IP of that machine but as you know your server t4nji6dbdm.database.windows.net is logical and not the physical box.

Also , make sure that port 1433 is enabled in the windows firewall and the public IP of the machine is added in the server firewall rule in the azure portal.

Please try that and let me know the outcome.

Regards,

Mukesh

• Proposed as answer by Mukesh(MSFT) Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:06 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:06 PM
  • hello Mukesh, 

Good news until that SSIS package or exporting process failed when trying to export my local schema to up...

Can you see what happened? Azure SQL is waiting one specific literature for all the scripting?

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Extended properties are not allowed?

Non clustered indexes are not allowed?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

• Edited by Enric Vives Friday, March 20, 2015 5:16 PM trying to clarify my thread
    Friday, March 20, 2015 5:15 PM
  • I've tried the same using a plain database along with one innocent table and it failed as well with other message:

The service objective web specified is invalid

Friday, March 20, 2015 5:21 PM
  • Hello Enric,

The error message is not so much clear but what I can think of is because azure db is not supporting 3 part naming schema and that's why it is failing. Could you please check following and let me know if it works.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssdt/archive/2012/12/13/windows-azure-import-export-service-and-external-references.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssdt/archive/2012/04/19/migrating-a-database-to-sql-azure-using-ssdt.aspx

Also in azure DB your table should have at least one clustered index or else it will not work.

Regards,

Mukesh

• Proposed as answer by Mukesh(MSFT) Friday, March 20, 2015 6:39 PM
    Friday, March 20, 2015 6:39 PM
  • Hi Mukesh,

I've generated the full script for the aforementioned table. Where are the three part naming parts?

I'm stuck, thanks for any input

GO

/****** Object:  Table [dbo].[Table1]    Script Date: 21/03/2015 9:30:56 ******/
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO

SET ANSI_PADDING ON
    GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Table1](
    [Id] [int] NOT NULL,
    [NIF] [varchar](10) NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED 
    (
    [Id] ASC
    )WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
    ) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF
    GO

Saturday, March 21, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Hello Enric,

On the basis of first screen shot I suggested you to check the 3 part naming schema by comparing the schema through SSDT. As you had created a new database and now you are stuck with following error.

The service objective web specified is invalid

What I think is your server is in Azure database server V12 (sterling) http://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/sql-database-preview-whats-new/ and that server doesn't support "WEB" edition of database (which is created as a default database when you publish the project from VS 2012 ).

I would suggest you to use preview version of SSDT tool (its in preview so check before using in production) as this create standard s0 database by default and that is supported in V12.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssdt/archive/2014/12/18/sql-server-database-tooling-preview-release-for-the-latest-azure-sql-database-update-v12-preview.aspx

With new SSDT tool you can use same steps as you are using also don't forget to change the project type to sql azure while publishing. Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Mukesh

• Proposed as answer by Mukesh(MSFT) Saturday, March 21, 2015 4:38 PM
    • Edited by Mukesh(MSFT) Saturday, March 21, 2015 6:46 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2015 4:37 PM
  • Hi Mukesh, unfortunately the new SSDT only applies in Visual Studio 2013, I've got 2012 one
    Monday, March 23, 2015 9:37 PM
  • Hi Enric, last month we released a version of SSDT with GA level support for Azure v12 in both VS2013 and VS2012. For VS2012, you can download the latest version from our Get It page (with VS2012 download here), or if you have ever updated before you can find this update from inside VS2012 – go to “SQL -> Check for Updates” and you should see there is a new update available that adds Azure v12 support.

Regards,

Kevin Cunnane,

SQL Server tools team

• Proposed as answer by pehkeongteh Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mekh Subba Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:38 PM