How to update Windows Developer Preview after Beta is released

Question

• 1. Are their updates/patches released through windows update for security holes and bug fixes?

2. After Windows 8 Beta is released do I need to remove Windows 8 preview along with all the installed software with it and install all the software back on after installing the beta? I'm asking this because I would like to delete the install files off my laptop but if I need to reload every thing after the beta is released then I will save them. 

P.S. I'm never going back to Windows 7 because Windows 8 is too xxxx awesome.

Original Title: Updating/Beta upgrading

Sunday, November 6, 2011 8:33 PM

All replies

• 1 There are some, but there is no guarantee of updates/patches. Microsoft said "No support" right at the build conference, and that includes update support.

2 I don't see why you install it on your main machine, there is no support if something goes wrong. Proper way to test it is to install on a spare/virtual machine and make a test windows live id if you want to sync your contacts.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Yes, any updates and fixes will be released through Windows Update.
    From everything I have read, there will not be an upgrade option to go to Beta or to the final released version. You will need to do a clean install
    of the final operating system. You would not want to keep Beta software on your computer as their will be changes in the final that are not in the
    Preview or Beta release.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:43 PM