none
Migrating .NET 4.0 application and deploying in Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Currently our .NET 4.0 application is deployed in Windows Server 2008 R2. We are planning to upgrade our Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2016. Will our application run in latest .NET framework or we need to upgrade our application's .NET framework version to higher version if we deploy our application in Windows Server 2016?
    • Edited by RGSenthil Thursday, February 27, 2020 12:42 AM
    Thursday, February 27, 2020 12:40 AM

Answers

• Hi RGSenthil,

Welcome to MSDN forum. 

Thanks for the sharing from EckiS.

As I know, the .NET Framework 4.6.2 is preinstalled with the Windows Server 2016. And the .NET Framework 4.x and later versions are backward-compatible with applications that were built with earlier versions of the .NET Framework. In other words, apps and components built with previous versions will work without modification.

But if the .NET Framework 4.0 that application was built on is not present and the app configuration file doesn’t define supported versions, an error may occurs. I suggest you refer to the link to configure your app to run on the .NET Framework 4.6.2.

Hope it helps and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Anna

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 27, 2020 7:26 AM

All replies

• the .NET Frameworks of 4.x branch are backward compatible (see Version compatibility in the .NET Framework),
    so your app should be fine without recompile.
    But there were some changes, so easiest for you would be to test on a current Framework,
    and when you see problems refer to: Application compatibility in the .NET Framework
    Thursday, February 27, 2020 6:06 AM
  • Hi RGSenthil,

Welcome to MSDN forum. 

Thanks for the sharing from EckiS.

As I know, the .NET Framework 4.6.2 is preinstalled with the Windows Server 2016. And the .NET Framework 4.x and later versions are backward-compatible with applications that were built with earlier versions of the .NET Framework. In other words, apps and components built with previous versions will work without modification.

But if the .NET Framework 4.0 that application was built on is not present and the app configuration file doesn’t define supported versions, an error may occurs. I suggest you refer to the link to configure your app to run on the .NET Framework 4.6.2.

Hope it helps and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Anna

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 27, 2020 7:26 AM