none
After WEC 2013 update, Visual Studio 2012 Error: CreateInstance failed

Question

• Hi,

I have VS12 update 5 installed, it was working fine with WEC 2013 update 5 but since the time i have updated WEC 2013 to "Wave 3" I am getting below error at visual studio startup:

CreateInstance failed for package [Microsoft.WindowsEmbedded.XamlTools.VSPackage.XRPackage, Microsoft.WindowsEmbedded.XamlTools, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken

and following error in Solution Explorer:

An exception was encountered while constructing the content of this frame.  This information is also logged in "C:\Users\bhatiara\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ActivityLog.xml".

Exception details:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsShell5.LoadPackageWithContext(Guid& packageGuid, Int32 reason, Guid& context)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.GetPackage()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent()

I have tried uninstalling and Installing VS 2012 but still facing this error.

Kindly Suggest.

Regards,

Rahul Bhatia

Monday, April 24, 2017 12:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Rahul Bhatia.

What do you mean about "Wave 3"?

Windows Embedded Compact 2013(WEC 2013) provides the flexibility and real-time support to help device manufacturers reduce time to market while creating easy-to-use, multi-touch intelligent systems that help enterprises improve worker productivity and you could download the update for it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42027

Please uninstall “Wave 3", after this restart visual studio 2012, if the issue persists, please repair visual studio 2012 and have a try with delete or rename the following folders:

• C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0
    • C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0

If the issue persists, feel free to let me know and provide the error message.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Rahul Bhatia.

What do you mean about "Wave 3"?

Windows Embedded Compact 2013(WEC 2013) provides the flexibility and real-time support to help device manufacturers reduce time to market while creating easy-to-use, multi-touch intelligent systems that help enterprises improve worker productivity and you could download the update for it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42027

Please uninstall “Wave 3", after this restart visual studio 2012, if the issue persists, please repair visual studio 2012 and have a try with delete or rename the following folders:

• C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0
    • C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0

If the issue persists, feel free to let me know and provide the error message.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:44 AM
  • Thanks a lot Joyce !!

It took me little time but your solution worked !

Regards,

Rahul Bhatia

Thursday, May 04, 2017 5:33 AM