none
WHQL Signature and Secure Boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo, 

I have a driver, which makes HRFS formated disks readable for Windows PCs. 

i got the signature from an external company (approved by Microsoft). 

the driver can be installed and it works fine for windows 7 and 8. 

for Windows 10, it works only when "Secure Boot" is deactivated in the BIOS. 

I read somewhere, that WHQL is important, in order to get through "Secure Boot" without problems when using Windows 10. 

Is this right?

when this is right, what is the easiest way to get the WHQL and any idea about the costs?

HRFS is VxWorks files System. 

thanks!

Ahmad

Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:05 PM

All replies

• The cost of WHQL Certifying your driver is free, in that you pay no money to Microsoft to get such Certification.

By "I got a signature from an external company", do you mean you purchased a code signing certificate?  If so, that's the only direct, overt cost that WHQL Certification causes: you need to pay a trusted company for a code signing certificate.  Presumably these days you got a SHA2(56) Certificate.

Your only other cost is internal to your organization: you have to spend time and resources on running the HLK (and HCK?), gathering the results, and submitting them to the Microsoft Dashboard.  This can be anything from lightweight to quite an undertaking depending on what target OS versions you want to certify against.  This would seem a reasonable place to start: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/windows-hardware-lab-kit

Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:19 PM