SQL Server Developer Edition - SQL 2008 & 2012 details required RRS feed

• Question

• HI Team,

on of my client is using  sql 2012 standard edition & sql 2008R2 Standard edition for UAT environment . To cut cost they were planning to migrate to SQL 2012 Developer edition & SQL 2008 R2 Developer edition  assuming its free .  but i said its not completely free . 

i need some supporting details reg. licensing of developer edition of sql 2008 R2 & 2012 version , can we really save cost on UAT environment over sql standard edition , one server is cluster and another is stand alone 

Also i need the list of limitations  of using developer edition over std edition

thank you

hemadri

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:48 AM

All replies

• The links that once pointed to the SQL Server 2012 and 2008 R2 Developer editions download pages no longer work now. Yes, they were not totally free. The price for SQL 2012 Developer edition was about $60. However, I couldn't find the download page. SQL 2012 developer appears to be available on Amazon. 2008 R2 came with MSDN subscription.

https://www.amazon.com/SQL-Server-Developer-Edition-2012/dp/B007RFXQAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403791371&sr=8-1&keywords=sql+server+2012+developer+edition

Developer edition was made free starting SQL Server 2014

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:28 AM
  • any limitation s compared to standard editions please. 

hemadri

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:36 AM

hemadri

Developer edition comes with all features that an Enterprise edition offers. However, it's strictly meant for DEV/TEST purposes only and not production. Check this out for more details. Also, check out the link in the last line of my previous reply. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:40 AM

hemadri

No limitations compared to Enterprise

Feature list for Developer edition is same as Enterprise edition

see

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/sql/sql-server-2012/cc645993(v=sql.110)

which says

Note

For features supported by Evaluation and Developer editions see the SQL Server Enterprise feature set.

Only difference is Developer edition is not meant for production deployment but for development and testing

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:49 AM

Since Developer supports a wider feature set than Standard, this means that if all develop and test environments use Standard Edition there is a considerable risk that you will not notice until you come to production that devs have used a feature which is not supported in Standard Edition. That is definitely not a negligible limitation.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:22 AM