none
How do you get Visual Studio 2015 to switch platforms like Visual Studio Code?

Question

• In Visual Studio Code, as shown here, you are able to switch platforms from Win32 to Cygwin to MinGW. If Visual Studio Code can do this, I believed this feature can be ported over to Microsoft Visual Studio suite.

But I have no idea if this is already implemented within Microsoft Visual Studio, nor do I think the Visual Studio Team has acknowledged/confirmed/planned/hinted that this feature will be coming to Visual Studio.

With that said, are there any workarounds to try to get the IDE itself to switch platforms? So, it will look as if Visual Studio is set to Cygwin, or MinGW?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:04 AM

Answers

• Hi tom_mai78101,

Sorry for misunderstanding for your original post.

As far as I know, Visual Studio support cross platform development. When we try create new C++ project, there has specific project templates, such as Android, IOS. If you want develop Linux platform project, please install the Visual C++ for Linux Development extension for Visual Studio, then there will be Linux C++ project templates in your Visual Studio.

So in Visual Studio, we need not change the platform for the C++ project manually. We can create the assigned platform before create the project.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 24, 2016 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hi tom_mai78101,

According to your description, you want to debug your C++ code on Cygwin/MinGW platform with Visual Studio, is it right?

We need to use local client to let your C++ run on other platform. Please refer to the Configuring SSH part in following blog, which introduce how to let our C++ project run on other platform. Hope that can help you.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/11/18/announcing-the-vs-gdb-debugger-extension/

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:26 AM
  • I am referring to how Visual Studio Code is able to switch hardcoded macro defines easily.

At the moment, Visual Studio 2015 is hardcoded to always have _WIN32 enabled. If the Visual Studio Code switching platform feature is implemented in Visual Studio 2015, then _WIN32 can be toggled to be disabled, _CYGWIN can be enabled (and rehighlight or fade all those nested #ifdef #elsif #endif codes), and _MINGW can be chosen.

It can also be applied to _OSX, _LINUX, or some whatever platform specific code. That's it.

Or maybe I am wrong?

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Hi tom_mai78101,

Sorry for misunderstanding for your original post.

As far as I know, Visual Studio support cross platform development. When we try create new C++ project, there has specific project templates, such as Android, IOS. If you want develop Linux platform project, please install the Visual C++ for Linux Development extension for Visual Studio, then there will be Linux C++ project templates in your Visual Studio.

So in Visual Studio, we need not change the platform for the C++ project manually. We can create the assigned platform before create the project.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, June 24, 2016 2:03 AM