none
BizTalk 2013, EDI and Visual Studio 2012 - How to get started RRS feed

• Question

• I'm an experienced ASP.Net, C#, and VB.Net developer.  I also have a lot of EDI experience.  I now want to create an EDI system using BizTalk 2013.  I am brand-new to BizTalk.  Never used it.  I managed to get it installed as well as Visual Studio 2012.  I then created a C# / BizTalk project within VS 2012.  

I the past, I would create class files for each EDI document type like 810, 850, etc.  In each class, I would define each element as a property like invoice number or purchase order date.  I would then build methods to read / write a document segment like GS, ISA, NOT, etc.  

But I'm having trouble finding much info about this online.  The few things I found, they seem to define the EDI documents as XML files.   Is there a site where all the EDI documents are already defined and that I can download?  Also, I see all this BizTalk stuff about maps, schemas, pipelines, functoids, orchestrations, etc.  I don't understand it all yet.  Is there any EDI solutions online where these things are already built?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob 

Friday, May 31, 2013 6:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• There are some EDI tutorial videos here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/biztalk/gg153503.aspx

Also the X12 Schemas needn't be downloaded, they ship with BizTalk and are located under:

%BizTalk Program Files%\XSD_Schema\EDI (the file MicrosoftEdiXSDTemplates.exe needs to be extracted).

Morten la Cour

Friday, May 31, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Morten,

Thanks for the reply.  I did find these files you posted and did the extract.  But not sure what to do next.  There is a bunch of folders with schema files but how do I find a invoice (810) or a purchase order (850)?  

I'll check out the tutorials. Thanks,

Bob

Friday, May 31, 2013 6:54 PM
  • check in this folder

C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010\XSD_Schema\EDI\MicrosoftEdiXSDTemplates\X12\00401

regards

Mohit Gupta

• Marked as answer by bobh99 Monday, June 3, 2013 10:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by bobh99 Monday, June 3, 2013 3:47 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 7:57 PM
  • I'm doing this tutorial that you sent.  I get to the point where they have me deploy the VS 2012 BizTalk project.  I get this error:

Error 12 A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) The system cannot find the file specified 0 0

Please note that I'm using BizTalk 2013 while the tutorial is using BizTalk 2010.

• Edited by bobh99 Monday, June 3, 2013 5:02 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Hi Bob,

You can start the basics of BizTalk EDI development by reading below articles. There are three parts of this.

http://geekswithblogs.cloudapp.net/VishnuTiwariBlog/articles/develop-your-first-biztalk-edi-project---part-1.aspx

For specific to your Error, I would say please check the BizTalk database server and management DB information under Deployment properties of the project. it should point to the right BizTalk database server and management database.

Best Regards, Vishnu

• Marked as answer by Pengzhen Song Friday, June 7, 2013 10:46 AM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Is your BizTalk sql server is on the same server as BizTalk server or is it on Network.

Try checking the DTS setting. This error comes when Distribution Transaction Coordinator is not set up properly. Follow below link and see if everything is enabled as per the suggestions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa544733(v=cs.70).aspx

Below is the way to get to MSDTC.

On Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista:

1. Click Start, click Run, and type dcomcnfg to launch the Component Services Management console.
    2. Click to expand Component Services and click to expand Computers.
    3. Click to expand My Computer, click to expand Distributed Transaction Coordinator, right-click Local DTC, and click Properties.
    4. Click the Security tab of the Local DTC Properties dialog.

Regards, Vishnu

Best Regards, Vishnu

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:00 PM