none
Entity Framework: Use of EdmGen.exe to convert oracle .edmx(only SSDL part) file to SQL SERVER SSDL RRS feed

• Question

• I find out about edmgen.exe in my try to use in entity framework only one edmx file that has 2 different ssdls, one for oracle and one for sql server database type.

However the documentation its not clear.

In my asp.net mvc project i create a oracle context using database first approach.I have the same schema database in sql server.

So my question is what should be the next step?

How can i use EdmGen.exe to convert the already created ssdl from oracles edmx file.

Copy the ssdl part in one xml file and then pass it in some way to edmgen.exe to convert it.And even then how can i choose in my controllers from where i am going to query data?

Any ideas?Thnks a lot

Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi k.explorer,

>>So my question is what should be the next step?

According to your description, I would suggest that you could create a EDMX file and generate related file from SQL server database. For more information, please refer to:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj206878(v=vs.113).aspx

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 26, 2017 6:45 AM
  • My issue is that i know how to create a .edmx file using database first approach. But even if when i have created an oracle connection, meaning i have the (csdl,ssdl and msl) parts of the edmx file and also an sql server connection in the same exact ways i do not  know the way to switch between ssdl parts in order to have the opportunity to take data from both databases
    Friday, May 26, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Hi k.explorer,

Based on related company policy, we could not install oracle on my side, I would suggest that you could create a edmx file with SQL Server, and compare the different of two edmx file and related connection string.

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:19 AM