SQL Server Package Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• hi 

i have to use sql server type of configuration for package.

if i create it for Dev Server and package configuration is in Dev server (XYZ Database - XX table).

Do I have to create XYZ Database again in QA??

While creating the configuration in Dev Server I came across "Environment Variable to store configuration location"

Do i have to create Environment variable in QA server with same name??

Thanks in Advance.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:37 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I will say you want to keep the things consistence all the way from dev to QA and then production.

Yes, you have to create Environmental Variable in QA. You can have the configuration table in different database if you want. but then you have to chance the value in system  environmental variable. You can save connection string in the System variable for configuration database or you can select indirect configuration , in that case you will save the path of configuration file in system environmental variable but actual connection string will be stored in file system. But when you will create configuration file in dev and move to QA, you have to open it and change the servername, if you want to change database name for your table you can do that too.

But it is good practice to have same name of databse,env variable on all the servers.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:50 AM