Access to Start Screen Colours in our apps

Question

• I have been looking at the various sample apps, and I have found a way to access some Desktop UI System Colours as StaticResources, but no way to grab the colours used in the Start Screen that the user has chosen.

Is/Will this be possible, and if not, why not?

http://www.mdtadesign.co.uk/

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:54 PM

Answers

• Hi mdtadesign,

The user's start menu color is not available. The expectation is that apps will use their own branded color rather than trying to match Windows'.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by mdtadesign Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:11 AM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:09 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi mdtadesign,

The user's start menu color is not available. The expectation is that apps will use their own branded color rather than trying to match Windows'.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by mdtadesign Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:11 AM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:09 AM
    Owner
  • It is a shame because coming from Windows Phone, where it is a hassle to override the theme colours, the expectation was to try to fit in with the phone as much as possible.  The controls all have a default teal colour, but I do not know if this can be overridden easily by declaring the colours in a local XAML ResourceDictionary.

I do find it odd that WinRT exposes the user's settings for the caret thickness, and High Contrast, as well as the old Desktop Windows Metrics colours, and not provide the Metro Colours.

Is there any guidance either internally or soon to come externally on the colour pallettes that Microsoft have decided on with their own Windows 8 apps.  

http://www.mdtadesign.co.uk/

Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:20 AM
  • It seems weird that the built in apps match
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:35 AM
  • What do you mean by "built in apps"?

Apps such as Music, Videos, Mail, People, IE, etc. all use their own colour schemes the same as 3rd party apps do. They don't match the system scheme except accidentally (i.e. if you set your system colour to match those apps).

--Rob

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:44 AM
    Owner