none
MX record RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Where should we keep the MX record for our email server? How to ensure my current Exchange 2010 server is fine with everything?

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Hua,

You need to expand Organization Configuration, select Hub Transport, and then in the work pane, click the Accepted Domains tab

• In the action pane, click New Accepted Domain. The New Accepted Domain wizard appears.
    • On the New Accepted Domain page, complete the following fields:
      • Name   To identify the accepted domain, type a unique name in the Name field. We recommend that you select a meaningful name to help you easily identify the purpose of this accepted domain. For example, you may want to use a name that easily identifies this as a subsidiary domain or as a hosted domain. You must use a unique name for each accepted domain.
      • Accepted Domain   Use this field to identify the SMTP namespace for which the Exchange organization accepts e-mail messages. You can use a wildcard character to accept messages for a domain and all its subdomains. For example, you can type *.contoso.com to set Contoso.com and all its subdomains as accepted domains.
    • After you complete these fields on the New Accepted Domain page, select one of the following options to set the accepted domain type:
      • Authoritative Domain   To specify that e-mail messages are delivered to a recipient that has a domain account in your Exchange organization, select this option.
      • Internal Relay Domain   To specify that e-mail messages are either delivered to recipients in your organization or relayed to a server outside your Exchange organization but still under the authority of your company or IT department, select this option.
      • External Relay Domain   To relay e-mail messages to an e-mail server outside the Exchange organization, select this option.
    • Click New to create the new accepted domain.
    • On the Completion page, review the following, and then click Finish to close the wizard:
      • A status of Completed indicates that the wizard completed the task successfully.
      • A status of Failed indicates that the task wasn't completed. If the task fails, review the summary for an explanation, and then click Back to make any configuration changes.
    • Marked as answer by Jackson_1990 Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jackson_1990 Monday, September 2, 2013 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jackson_1990 Friday, September 6, 2013 2:22 AM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 2:06 PM

All replies

• Your MX records are held in your domain name DNS configuration. If you do a Google search for MX Toolbox, you can enter your domain name and see your current MX records.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:36 AM
  • Does it mean my current domain name should be recognizable from outside? The answer should be yes, right? Then it means, we should have one recognizable domain name first, then we further use it as our current Windows domain. Am I right?

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Hi..

if you want to get mails from internet, you should register a domain with any internet based domain registrars, like godaddy.com, networksolutions.com etc. You should have a public static ip in your premise where exchange server is physically placed. then add Host records in your external dns pointing to your public ip and create mx records also. You have to make NAT rules in your firewall/internet router to forward necessary ports to your exchange servers private ip address. The tcp ports which exchange using are given below. Please make sure that the ports given below are forwarded from your wan to exchange server.

25 : smtp

110 : pop

143 : imap

465 & 587 : smtp client

443 : https

993 : ssl imap

995 : ssl pop

you can check the NAT configuration status from outside by telnet ing from outside to your public ip/ public domain name by putting necessary port numbers.

you can check mx record by nslookup command as given below.

nslookup

set type=mx

yourdomain.com > the output will show your mx record... if you change the mx record in your public dns, it will take from 4 hours to 2 days to reflect the change...

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Tarique Noorain Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Thanks all.

KMSameer,

Where is external DNS placed? For the domain, which is recognizable from outside, should I use the same domain, in the Windows server, in which Exchange server resides?

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Any help please?

Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Thanks all.

KMSameer,

Where is external DNS placed? For the domain, which is recognizable from outside, should I use the same domain, in the Windows server, in which Exchange server resides?

Please explain this a bit clearer in order for me to be able to assist you with this.

Regards,

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Good day Jonathan,
    For instance, my Windows server is currently using

win08.huamin.com

as the domain. Within the same server, on which I expect to set up everything for Exchange server, and suppose I have registered one domain like

mycompany.com

that is reachable or pingable in internet, do I have to change the domain from "win08.huamin.com" to "mycompany.com"?

Friday, August 30, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Good day Jonathan,
    For instance, my Windows server is currently using

win08.huamin.com

as the domain. Within the same server, on which I expect to set up everything for Exchange server, and suppose I have registered one domain like

mycompany.com

that is reachable or pingable in internet, do I have to change the domain from "win08.huamin.com" to "mycompany.com"?

Hua,

Thank you for this. No you don't have to change your domain name at all. You can add multiple "accepted domains" to the same domain controller/Exchange server within the same infrastructure.

Please see this link on how to add an accepted domain to your current Exchange 2010 server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124911(v=exchg.141).aspx

Just remember you need to point your MX records to your external IP address and open the required ports also.

Any problems please let me know.

Regards,

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Thanks a lot.

Sorry, probably my current Exchange setup is incomplete. What to choose below?

Friday, August 30, 2013 7:23 AM
  • Hi Hua,

You need to expand Organization Configuration, select Hub Transport, and then in the work pane, click the Accepted Domains tab

• In the action pane, click New Accepted Domain. The New Accepted Domain wizard appears.
    • On the New Accepted Domain page, complete the following fields:
      • Name   To identify the accepted domain, type a unique name in the Name field. We recommend that you select a meaningful name to help you easily identify the purpose of this accepted domain. For example, you may want to use a name that easily identifies this as a subsidiary domain or as a hosted domain. You must use a unique name for each accepted domain.
      • Accepted Domain   Use this field to identify the SMTP namespace for which the Exchange organization accepts e-mail messages. You can use a wildcard character to accept messages for a domain and all its subdomains. For example, you can type *.contoso.com to set Contoso.com and all its subdomains as accepted domains.
    • After you complete these fields on the New Accepted Domain page, select one of the following options to set the accepted domain type:
      • Authoritative Domain   To specify that e-mail messages are delivered to a recipient that has a domain account in your Exchange organization, select this option.
      • Internal Relay Domain   To specify that e-mail messages are either delivered to recipients in your organization or relayed to a server outside your Exchange organization but still under the authority of your company or IT department, select this option.
      • External Relay Domain   To relay e-mail messages to an e-mail server outside the Exchange organization, select this option.
    • Click New to create the new accepted domain.
    • On the Completion page, review the following, and then click Finish to close the wizard:
      • A status of Completed indicates that the wizard completed the task successfully.
      • A status of Failed indicates that the task wasn't completed. If the task fails, review the summary for an explanation, and then click Back to make any configuration changes.
    • Marked as answer by Jackson_1990 Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jackson_1990 Monday, September 2, 2013 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jackson_1990 Friday, September 6, 2013 2:22 AM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 2:06 PM
  • Many thanks.
    Jonathan,
    How to further add Host record to my external DNS?

Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Any help please?

Monday, September 2, 2013 2:04 AM
  • You have to do this in domain registrars.

Siddiq Growth and Comfort do not coexist

Monday, September 2, 2013 3:44 AM
  • You have to do this in domain registrars.

Siddiq Growth and Comfort do not coexist

Abuexchange,
    I don't understand what you mean. I have already added the domain I registered to this Exchange server. Do you know where external DNS is?

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:28 AM