TFS in Virtual Machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In our project the TFS is installed in the Virtual Machine and we have mapped the TFS working folder to a shared drive i.e. the Local Path. The issue is, everytime we log in to the Virtual Machine, the allocation is dynamic i.e. a random free Virtual Machine is allocated to us. Now since a Package was checked out in the previous Virtual Machine, we are unable to do a Check-in or Undo Check-out.

Kindly suggest what would be the best possible way to handle this situation.

Regards Yuktah

• Edited by Yuktah Monday, August 27, 2012 5:43 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 5:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Yuktah,

Thanks for you feedback!

TFS uses SQL server as its storage mechanism. It is not recommended to put SQL data files on NAS drives, due to the high latency.

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:37 AM

All replies

• You may want to check in all your changes before log off, or use a consistant working folder that you can access from all the Virtual Machines.

Catherine Sea
    TFS Hosting | Version Control Solutions

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Hi Catherine,

We encountered this issue when there was a Network problem due to which the connection was lost. The next time when we logged-in a new Virtaul Machine opened instead of the old one. Some of our Packages are still check-out in earlier Virtual Machine, I guess for which, only the Admin can release the Packages in TFS.

Regarding consistent working Folder, you mean something like a NAS/Shared drive which can be accessed by everyone ?

Thanks for your reply :)

Regards Yuktah

• Edited by Yuktah Monday, August 27, 2012 6:46 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Hi Yuktah,

Thanks for you feedback!

TFS uses SQL server as its storage mechanism. It is not recommended to put SQL data files on NAS drives, due to the high latency.

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:37 AM