Heat on Macbook

Question

• Hello all,

i installed successfully Windows 8 Developer Preview on a Macbook Late 2008 (White) via rEfit and an USB drive. Everything works fine except the CPU fan. It get's very very hot.

Does anyone have the same experience or a solution?

Regards,

Mitch

Friday, November 4, 2011 11:53 AM

Answers

• hi there, one easy way to extract drivers installed (if you have a windows 7 installation on the same mac book) is to use DriverBK.

it will extract all non OEM drivers, even power management ones.

you can then point your windows 8 installation to the folder where it has extracted drivers of previous windows 7 install.

that should give Win8DP the bits it needs to get powermanagement devices running ok.

you can get it from sourceforge if i recall correctly, otherwise bing/google it :)

hope it helps, keep us posted.

best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• It's a laptop. More or less it will always heat up but there may be a problem with the compatibility between mac hardware and windows 8 where it hasn't even been released as beta yet. I ran windows 7 on my gateway for a while and since I installed windows 8 I have noted that it gets hot less and I don't need to use my external fan.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Sounds like there isn't full  power management support for on your computer. Isn't there a set of drivers that you usually have to install when running Windows on a Mac to do that?
    Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Windows Phone Developer MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 1:47 AM
  • I installed all the Boot Camp drivers by hand. The automatic installer does not work with Windows 8. Since the fan does not start power management seems to be the problem.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 2:34 PM
  • hi there, one easy way to extract drivers installed (if you have a windows 7 installation on the same mac book) is to use DriverBK.

it will extract all non OEM drivers, even power management ones.

you can then point your windows 8 installation to the folder where it has extracted drivers of previous windows 7 install.

that should give Win8DP the bits it needs to get powermanagement devices running ok.

you can get it from sourceforge if i recall correctly, otherwise bing/google it :)

hope it helps, keep us posted.

best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:35 PM