Beta Testing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I have an already published app in the Windows Phone Store, say app named A version 1.0.0. The app A is a Windows Phone 8.1 Silver-light App. Now I have an update to the app A, 1.1.0 which I want to beta test. So i uploaded 1.1.0 A.xap  as beta publish to the Windows Store. The beta upload was successful. But still I dont find the link to the Beta App in my Dev Center. Am I doing it in the right way? There are some posts which say I cannot beta upload an already published app. It will be appreciative if some one helps me in this.

Thanks,

Richard

Thursday, November 24, 2016 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hello Richard,

In Dashboard App identity page, the option Targeted distribution to customers with a link to your app's listing does not work for testers on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.

So if you want to make beta testing for your app, you might choose Hide this app and make it available only to the people you specify below, who can download this app on Windows Phone 8.x devices. A promotional code may be used to download this app on Windows 10 devices . Then only people with email address you enter who use Windows Phone 8.1 or earlier can be able to download your app. After you select this option, even if they have direct link to your app's listing, they won't be able to download your app unless they're using the Microsoft account associated with the email address you entered when submitting the app.

>There are some posts which say I cannot beta upload an already published app.
    You might refer to the Beta testing and targeted distribution from MSDN which has mentioned that "We provide several ways to limit distribution of your apps to only your testers without needing to create a separate version of your app with a different name and package identity." Your beta testing version submission won't make effect on your users who have already downloaded your former version.

For details you might need to keep mind, please refer to the end part of that documentation. Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mattew Wu Friday, November 25, 2016 6:35 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2016 6:10 AM