none
A bug in the code generation of the Native Image Generator (Ngen.exe) tool. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I hope you are familiar with the ngen tool (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6t9t5wcf(VS.71).aspx). A couple months ago I have discovered an issue with this tool. Initialy, it occurred in the applications used our product, but later I have managed to create a sample using all the standard Microsoft stuff where this problem happened as well. It looks like the tool optimizes the code incorrectly.

I've created an issue for this purpose:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=407791

I hope that you find it important, because it is well-reprodusible in a simple project  and may be it will affect you as well. Please vote for this bug because it seems that MS forgot it again)))

Thanks,
    Dennis

P.S.
    I do not know if this normal for Microsoft to not answer to users for a long time, but at first glance it looks strange for me. Maybe because I got accustomed by our company support which usually responsible in 24 hours even for non-licensed users.

Monday, February 23, 2009 4:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Dennis,

I am sorry you didn't hear from Microsoft for so long (1 month in this case). We are trying to answer Connect issues in more timely manner, but sometimes it slips through as your issue. I pinged the ngen developer to take a closer look at your bug. He will hopefully get back to you in couple of days. If he doesn't, please feel free to ping me here on the forums.

I also looked at your first bug to find out why you didn't get any response there. I think what happened is that you forgot to make the bug Active when you provided repro:

12/29/2008 ... When you are available to send us the additional details that can help us to reproduce the problem, you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Most probably no one monitors comments on closed bugs (as they are not assigned to anyone) and therefore no one did answer to you.
    Please don't take this as an excuse for not answering to your second issue. That's definitely unfortunate. I just tried to help you understand what happened and why you didn't get answer from Microsoft in January.

I hope you will get some good news from ngen team soon,
    -Karel Zikmund
    Developer on CLR Type System team

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Hello Karel,

Thank you a lot for your reply. I am holding my breath to hear from your professionals. No problem with the delay, we are living in a real world and I understand such cases well.

>>
    I also looked at your first bug to find out why you didn't get any response there. I think what happened is that you forgot to make the bug Active when you provided repro:
    <<
    Yeah, it may look stupid, but I was not able to find anything alowing me to change the issue's status back to Active. Yes, there is a place named Status that shows the state of the issue as expected, but it doesn't  seem to allow any changes. It appers that I searched in the wrong place))). I even asked how to reactivate Connect issues in the latest bug report I submitted (about ngen). I hope they will notice my PS, in which I asked about reactivating of existing issues. Unfortunately, I also have not found a way to attach an image to this forum to demonstrate what I am talking about.

Sorry for being such a trouble here, I am just a newbie on your forums and have not got accustomed to the UI of your forums.

Thanks for your help,
    Dennis

R&D, eXpressApp Framework Team,
    Developer Express Inc.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:04 AM
  • Hello Dennis,

It seems that John took a look at your repro yesterday and is following up with you in your original bug report.

I am following up with MS connect team to find out answer for your trouble with changing the closed bug back to Active. I will let you know when I get more info (it might take a day or two). Maybe meanwhile someone else with experience in this will answer it here on the forums ...
    Let's try to solve/discuss the issue with reactivating a closed bug here on the forums and let's keep the MS Connect bug just for the bug report itself.

To comment on your trouble to attach an image here on the forums - I don't think it's possible. At least I don't know about a way how to do that either. I think it's by design.
    You could probably use some other site to upload an image and add a link here, but it doesn't seem to be necessary right now. Let's first see if MS Connect team can give us some guidance on this.

-Karel
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Hello Karel,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, John has already reviewed my original bug and I have even provided him with additional details on the issue. Thanks again for your helpful ping in this regard.

I also apologize for discussing multiple problems a single forum thread here. I will be more attentive in the future, sorry.
    Thank you also for  your concern about my issue and my problems when using MS stuff. I do apprecite the way Microsoft attends about their users and the services you have. Good work guys.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing from the Connect Team as well. Anyway, I think that we (not experienced with Connect end-users) missed something obvious...

Thanks,
    Dennis

R&D, eXpressApp Framework,
    Developer Express Inc.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Try again today, looked like they deployed an update through Windows Update yesterday.  No details that I could find, old KB article number.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Hi there,

The original problem has been resolved. Please check out the following issue for more details:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=407791

Microsoft, thank you very much for your assistance.

Regards,
    Dennis
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Monday, March 2, 2009 7:47 AM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Looks like this bug will be around for a while.  Do you mind posting the code snippet here?
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:11 PM