none
Removing Taskbar in Windows 8.1 Industry RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I remove the taskbar permanently in Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry version? 

Is this something that's even customizable? Assuming it is, since you wouldn't normally want to see the taskbar on an ATM or similar device..

Thanks,

Ron

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 12:41 PM

Answers

• Yes, making the application as the shell will remove Explorer shell from appearing. If you need access to items like control panel, you will have to provide them in your application. Also, updating the application while it is running is a challenge. Shell Launcher will re-launch the main application when it is closed. It might be best to have a custom shell that still provides access to administration functions and launches your main application.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Edited by Sean LimingMVP, Moderator Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Willi K Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by RonM14 Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:07 AM
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:30 PM

All replies

• Or perhaps I should take another approach, such as running my application upon startup using the shell launcher?

My goal is that a custom application will load automatically after boot, with no Windows UI at all.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Yes, making the application as the shell will remove Explorer shell from appearing. If you need access to items like control panel, you will have to provide them in your application. Also, updating the application while it is running is a challenge. Shell Launcher will re-launch the main application when it is closed. It might be best to have a custom shell that still provides access to administration functions and launches your main application.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Edited by Sean LimingMVP, Moderator Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Willi K Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by RonM14 Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:07 AM
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:30 PM