Problem installing VS2008 SP1 on Windows 7 machine RRS feed

• Question

• User-430908776 posted

Just upgraded my development machine from Vista to Win7. I was able to re-install VS2008 OK, but can't get by SP1 install. It insists I run the Patch Removal Tool, but when I do it won't let me proceed from the Systems Requirement dialog box (the 'Next' button is not enabled), yet I don't see any information there which gives any clue as to what the problem is or what I need to do. Space is sufficient, and the only message in the text box says "VS2008 Service Pack Preparation Tool". Above that is one red flag icon with the message "Incompatible processes check" and another green check icon with the message "Incompatible services check".  What a maddening dialog box!

Any ideas out there as to what I need to do to get SP1 installed?

Monday, November 9, 2009 12:52 PM

Answers

• User-430908776 posted

Thanks for the reply, Anas. I really thought I did have a clean upgrade installation - all my other programs seem to work fine. And the VS2008 SP1 install would not let me proceed without the Removal tool. But, I did finally resolve my problem, by uninstalling anything already on my box having to do with VS. I think there was a VS2008 SDK toolkit which was blocking the install, although why that should be I don't know.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 4:55 PM

All replies

• User1564875471 posted

It insists I run the Patch Removal Tool, but when I do it won't let me proceed from the Systems Requirement dialog box

If you did a clean win 7 installation,there is no need to run the patch removal tool.

I installed VS 2008 sp1 on win 7 with no problem.

Monday, November 9, 2009 1:29 PM
  • User-430908776 posted

Thanks for the reply, Anas. I really thought I did have a clean upgrade installation - all my other programs seem to work fine. And the VS2008 SP1 install would not let me proceed without the Removal tool. But, I did finally resolve my problem, by uninstalling anything already on my box having to do with VS. I think there was a VS2008 SDK toolkit which was blocking the install, although why that should be I don't know.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 4:55 PM