none
Visual Studio Community 2015 - Cannot download a license.

Question

• My account has run out before, I had to wipe the registry keys pertaining to the license then reinstall VS 2015 community.

My account will die again in 14 days for visual studio 2015.

My visual studio 2013 community edition works fine, it successfully registered to me.

I have a visual studio account, and can sign into it.

I have a dev essentials subscription, and it opens when I click "use my benefits".

When I sign in to my account in visual studio it says "Personalization Account".

It has my name in the upper right hand corner is visual studio (under the close window X).

When I check for an updated license and sign in using the same user name/password it tells me this:

- We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings.

Under the:

- License: 30 day trial (for evaluation purposes only)

- Your evaluation period will end on Saturday, December 10, 2016.

-There was a problem updating your license. Your trial will expire soon and you will no longer be able to access this product. Check for an updated license to continue without interruption.

Nobody has been able to help me.

This is extremely frustrating...

~LizardWiz()

~LizardWiz()

Saturday, November 26, 2016 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi LizardWiz,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

If this is your first time to sign in with your Microsoft account to extend the VS community 2015 or not? There are some factors that may be caused this failed login issue, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Run the VS community 2015 with safe mode using the command: devenv /safemode, if it works fine that means the installed extensions may be corrupted the VS, please go to Tool—Extensions and Updates… and remove all installed extensions one by one to find the culprit.
    2. Run the VS community 2015 as the administrator, it will help us to excludes the permission issue.

Meanwhile, If you have not install IE11 or set it as the default browser, after installing it, set as the default browser, add the following sites to your IE trusted site: IE—Internet Options—Security—Trusted Sites, then reopen VS and check this issue again.   

https://app.vssps.visualstudio.com/profile/view

https://login.microsoftonline.com

https://login.live.com

If this issue persists, please run the command: devenv /log in the evaluated command prompt if you can, then upload the activity file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 28, 2016 10:49 AM
  • Here is my activity log:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuUb9C5UJFN_gQlz7yqH5ZlAfef3

I opened VS 2015

I went to "register product"

The first attempt was to "download an updated license", it failed.

The second attempt was to "re-enter my credentials", it succeeded.

Thanks!

~LizardWiz()

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Hi LizardWiz,

Thank you for your update.

>>The second attempt was to "re-enter my credentials", it succeeded.

Do you mean your issue is solved? If so, could you please mark it as answer and that will help other community members who have the same or similar issue to easier search your solution, thank you for your support.

If not, I will help you continue researching your log, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:13 AM
  • No, 

The answer is NOT solved. The first attempt was to download an updated license (the option on the right hand side of the screen, and the REQUIREMENT for not having this license EXPIRE.

The second attempt, was the thing on the left hand side of the screen which allows me to log in (after re-entering my credentials) and ensures me that I have a PERSONALIZATION account upon successful login.

The logging into the account is NOT the problem here, it is that I can not successfully download an UPDATED license, even though I have a valid Visual Studio account.

~LizardWiz()

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Did you try clicking on "Reenter your credentials" link first and re-submit your password? Only once that is done successfully can you check for an updated license.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:06 PM
  • Yes. Literally a thousand times. This will be the second time that my vs 2015 license will have expired, both times with a valid visual studio account with dev essentials subscription. I was successfully able to register my vs 2013 community edition long ago, but never my vs 2015 community edition.

Last time it expired and I could not do anything except for exit the program, even after fixing/reinstalling multiple times. I submitted a question on this board asking how to overcome that particular issue, which, although marked as solved was never actually solved. I ended up having to figure out for myself how to delete the license registry keys and then reinstall.

I can't imagine that I am the only person who has this problem, why no one can identify the issue is beyond me. ESPECIALLY after I went through the process of uploading my log file.

~LizardWiz()

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:43 PM
  • Greetings, LizardWiz,

I just finished a chat with VS2015 Commun Support and I think we may have something of a similar situation. Here's how I clumsily described it in my Chat Request:

I installed VS 2015 Commun and through my negligence allowed the '30 day trial before purchasing' to expire before I started VS and registered the product.I I uninstalled and reinstalled VS2015 Commun (that was no fun) and upon starting it up got this notification: License: 30 day trial (for evaluation purposes only)
    This license has expired.

Your trial has expired. Sign in to acquire a license using an online account. (period) Well, I pressed the signin button, got a popup browser with bad address error. I grabbed the link, stuck it in a different brwsr and ended up logged in to the main VS site:  https://app.vssps.visualstudio.com (period) I found no way to get a new "license" for my VS 2015 Commun install. Help. My SubID, Type and Valid Through: 6xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx8291, Free, Perpetual

FRm my worldview perspective, I went through proverbial Hades also in uninstalling and attempting a reinstall.

Perhaps the magic at MS is still in there somewhere, and we'll have an opportunity to experience. I noticed in my web travels around this problem that 2017 Community is available in the post-Beta form...???

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:36 PM
  • I have already been where you are at man, this is my second time around...

You will have to clean out the license information from your registry.

I am at work and can't run regedit, but there is a license key section for visual studio 14.0 that you will need to delete.

Then you can re-install and you will be at the point that I am at again...having a valid visual studio account, unable to download an updated license key, and going to expire in 10 days time where I will be back to where you are...unable to hit anything but Exit.

~LizardWiz()

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:57 PM
  • I am wondering where Sara has gone to. It seemed like she was going to help me work through this, I even uploaded the log file for her to view. Unfortunately, she has not been back around recently, and the countdown to doomsday is now t-9 days...

Is there anybody that can help?

~LizardWiz()

Thursday, December 01, 2016 10:42 PM
  • Hi LizardWiz,

Thank you for your update and sorry for my later reply.

As your description, it looks like your current account is login successfully, but just cannot obtain an update license. Have you tried to create a new Microsoft account and have a test with the new account. If not, please navigate to and try it.

BTW, do you have any domain (such as when using a Samba domain controller or other), when I researched the error message in your log file and I found someone meet a similar issue like yours when they using a domain account not a windows local account to login the computer and renew the VS community 2015 license.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 02, 2016 1:59 AM
  • I already tried creating a second account, that did not help. I am using just my normal windows account to logon, it is a personal computer.

~LizardWiz()

Friday, December 02, 2016 5:27 AM
  • Hi LizardWiz,

Could you please try to create a new windows administrator account and login, then check this issue again, it will help us to excludes the possibility of the user profiles of current account is corrupted.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 05, 2016 1:36 AM