SignFile task error in Build machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 10 VM with VS 2019 installed. MSBuild version is 16.6. I am using the following from msbuild command in Developer Command Prompt and it works fine.

<SignFile CertificateThumbprint="$(CertThumbprint)" SigningTarget="%(DLLFiles.FullPath)" TargetFrameworkVersion="v4.5" />

I have a build machine which is Windows Server 2019 Standard. It has Visual Studio 2019 Build Tools installed (but no VS) and hence MSBuild version is 16.5. The above SignFile task throws an error in the build machine 

"An error occurred while signing: SignTool.exe was not found at path <Location_of_Project_File>\signtool.exe"

Even in my Windows 10 machine, I don't have signtool.exe in the project file location. So, I am not sure why is this error occurring? Please help.

Ven

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Venh,

The signtool is included in the Windows SDK. Please open visual studio installer/Modify/Individual Components, then install Windows 10 SDK.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:00 AM
  • Hi Dylan,

The server has SDK installed. But the error says that the signtool file is not found in project directory.

Ven

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 9:41 AM
  • Hi Venh,

Sorry for delay in reply.

I have a tried to to move a .net core project to windows server 2019, and it can build successfully. Not sure what cause your issue, these are my steps, please check them:

1. Install build tool with .net desktop build tool, .net core build tools and latest window SDK
    2. Insall .net core SDK 3.1
    3. Install prx into "Current User" store location
    4. Run commnad "dotnet Restore XXX.csproj"
    5. Run command "msbuild XXX.csproj"

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, July 20, 2020 6:40 AM
  • Hi Dylan,

No problem. Thank you very much for your timely help. I forgot to mention that my solution has mostly .Net Framework 4.7.2 projects.

Ven

Monday, July 20, 2020 2:13 PM
  • Hi Venh,

Could you build your project with my steps successfully? And I have add a .net 4.7.2 console app with <signfile> task in previous solution, it could also build without errors.

If possible, could you share a reproductive sample through one drive? I will download and test it on my side.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:43 AM