none
Uninstalling the left over of Visual Studio 2015

Question

• Hello! 

I have uninstalled my Visual Studio 2015 Community, but there are a lot of left over programs those I don't know which of the follow belongs to VS installation and neither wich of them I really can uninstall as well:

programs

Wich of them may I uninstall without damaging my system? And is there any other one that I must uninstall and it is not visible here?

thanks! :)

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi luis_baldissera,

Some packages, do get left behind. Some are packages that do not participate in package ref-counting – often those that we do not build. Some package may be left behind because uninstalling packages in Visual Studio skips them... So you can try to remove lefts with this command:

vs_community.exe /uninstall /force

You can find more info about this at this very good blog post about Removing Visual Studio components left behind after an uninstall you can find it here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2015/07/17/removing-visual-studio-components-left-behind-after-an-uninstall/

Hope this was helpful for you...

Best regards!

(If this was helpful for you, vote for it and propose it as an answer)

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:40 PM
  • Hi luis_baldissera,

You could follow Almir's advice to use uninstall/force command to uninstall VS related components.

In addition,  >>And is there any other one that I must uninstall and it is not visible here?

If you still find some components remained on your machine, but they don't appear at Control Panel, We'll need to use msiinv:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx
    The msiinv tool is a tool which will list all installed msi on your OS. In that way you can check them and if you want to remove any of them

After using msiinv,you may try the msiexec /x <product code> to remove that component if it is related to Visual Studio 2015 enterprise.

Reference blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Thanks Almir, it worked... but I'm still with almost all of those programs, if I unistall all of them (the Visual C++ redistributable, the SQL tools, etc) every time I install a program that needs them, will it reinstall? Or if I unintall everything, it will damage my computer?

luisbaldissera

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Thanks Almir, it worked... but I'm still with almost all of those programs, if I unistall all of them (the Visual C++ redistributable, the SQL tools, etc) every time I install a program that needs them, will it reinstall? Or if I unintall everything, it will damage my computer?

luisbaldissera

Hi luis_baldissera,

If my previous answer was helpful for you... please vote for it and mark it as an answer.

If found very good explanation about Visual C++ redistributables, so I strongly recommend you to read it:

Visual C++ redistributables should not be uninstalled unless you are absolutely sure no other program is using it, because there is no reference counting in the redistributables (Adding confusions like yours make it less favorable to merge modules IMHO) and removing it can break other programs who choose to rely on redistributables to be installed. If you have a few megabytes to spare, just leave the redistributables there.

More about it here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/c9f35038-4482-4ba4-8802-af1abeeef54e/safety-of-uninstalling-visual-c-redistributables-on-a-production-server?forum=vcgeneral

Hope this was helpful for you...

Best regards!

(If this was helpful for you, vote for it and propose it as an answer)

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:36 PM