stand alone RRS feed

• Question

• Can I make a stand alone exe with c#, without need to have visual studio 2005 install and framework or just without visual studio install to run the exe file?
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:00 PM

Answers

• no, you NEED to have the .NET Framework on the computer in order to run your application otherwise it will not run. Its like a car, if you have no engine - it can't run. .NET is the "Engine" to run your application on the computer

you would need to install the correct version of the framework for your application. (and you only need the framework on the computer)

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:01 PM

All replies

• no, you NEED to have the .NET Framework on the computer in order to run your application otherwise it will not run. Its like a car, if you have no engine - it can't run. .NET is the "Engine" to run your application on the computer

you would need to install the correct version of the framework for your application. (and you only need the framework on the computer)

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:01 PM
  • ok. I want to make executable to run stand alone without need to have visual studio .net installed and I don't want to make install file for my program but I will have the framework installed, can I do such thing?
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:09 PM
  • yes, just install the appropriate version of the .NET Framework (if you developed in .NET 1.1, then install .NET 1.1, if you developed in .NET 2.0, then install .NET Framework 2.0) and you can then run your application, assuming you have not included any other SDK/runtime files required by your application.

you are best to create an installer in VS2005/2003 so it can automatically download and install the correct version of the .NET Framework on the computer if it requires it before installing your application

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:12 PM