none
VS 2019 with Excel 365 and Office.Interop.Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I am updating some older desktop apps which create reports in Excel using data from SQL Server.

These apps were created in VS 2010 c# updated with VS 2015 c# and I am now moving them to VS 2019 

My questions are :I am using Version 14 

1. Is there a more up-to-date version? 

2. Are there any known issues when using Version 14 with Excel 365? 

jnc

Monday, January 6, 2020 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hello jnc,

1. I have got version 16.4.2 installed on the machine. If you try to download Visual Studio 2019 at https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/ you will get the latest version out of the box.

2. Everything works smoothly. I didn't heard about critical issues when dealing with VS 2019.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

• Marked as answer by jnc Wednesday, January 8, 2020 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hello jnc,

1. I have got version 16.4.2 installed on the machine. If you try to download Visual Studio 2019 at https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/ you will get the latest version out of the box.

2. Everything works smoothly. I didn't heard about critical issues when dealing with VS 2019.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

• Marked as answer by jnc Wednesday, January 8, 2020 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:59 PM
  • Thanks Eugene

I am sure you are right, thank you for the pointer

I am using the Community Edition and it is not obvious to me so I am creating a new office project and will see what that does

could you help me with the file name and location on your machine 

jnc

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 9:24 AM
  • Which file name?

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 10:11 AM
  • I am moving forward a bit I just wondered if the current interop files have the same name as the ones I am using

My path is :C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\14.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c

and the file is :Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll

I know there are other files in the assembly I am just using this one as a reference I imagine yours to be in something like 

C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel\16.4.2.0__xxxxxx

when I have completed I will write up my process

jnc

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 10:21 AM