none
SharePoint Online - GeoLocation Column Map Display

Question

• Is there a way to change the default view of the Bing map used in a SharePoint Online List from Road view (shown below) to Aerial / Satellite view?

I used the SharePoint Online Management Shell and added our Bing Maps Key and the GeoLocation column to the list. Everything is working fine but I cant figure out how to change the map to display the Aerial (as Bing Maps calls it) rather than the Road view (shown below) 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:16 PM

All replies

• Here are the references 

mapTypeId = Microsoft.Maps.MapTypeId.arial

to the map view that gets created, regardless of the zoom level.

I was able to get it to work by editing the SP.Map.js file in the layouts folder that SharePoint uses.
    I ended up adding a line to all functions to set the mapTypeId.

mapTypeId: 'a';

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/88eb157f-e342-48d8-aa0d-d8f68e51f2f2/geolocation-mapview-customizing-the-map?forum=sharepointgeneral

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/general-development/create-a-map-view-for-the-geolocation-field-in-sharepoint

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:52 PM
  • Hi Lakshmanan

How do you access _Layouts Folder in SharePoint Online? It was my understanding that this is not possible?

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:48 AM
  • Hi BaldBish,

Per my knowledge, we cannot display a Aerial view of Bing Maps in the GeoLocation column. It is by design that display the Road view.

If you want to see the Aerial/Satellite view in your SPO site, you need to use the web part called "Bing Maps web part" in a modern page.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, December 7, 2018 8:47 AM
  • Hi Allen

Thankyou for letting me know, it is a real shame that the Aerial view cannot be used as its a very popular view. We have a lot of sites that are not on mapped roads and we require the Aerial view. The webpart will not be useful for what we want to achieve. Is there no powershell command that will globally set the Aerial view?

Monday, December 10, 2018 7:30 PM