Update client database from Web server database RRS feed

• Question

• User-1775851492 posted
    I want to develop a system where the MS Access Database on the client machine, gets updated from an MS Access Database located on a remote server. How can this be achieved? Is vice-versa possible too. Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:03 AM

Answers

• User-319574463 posted

If the servers at both ends are synchronised to a common time source, then the job simplifies slightly.

You will need to add two fields:

• UpdateTime  - Time in GMT of the last update other than by synchronisation process.
    • UpdateCount -  Count of times each record updated other than by synchronisation process.
    Assuming you have no circular relationships with the data. then it just requires each end to poll a web service at the other table by table and bringing each record up to the latest where the UpdateCount on the local version is lower.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:11 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

You are talking about Replication: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282977

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:23 AM
  • User-319574463 posted

Where are the two databases located with respect to each other?

What ports are open between the two locations?

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:52 PM
  • User-1775851492 posted
    I have one database on the local machine The other database is hosted on remote server I want a system that synchronizes the database in the local machine with the database on the remote server
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:24 PM
  • User-319574463 posted

Where is the remote server in relationship to the local server?

Are they members of the same domain?

Are they on the same LAN?

Is the remote server across the intenet?

What firewalls lay between them and what ports are open from end to end?

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:43 PM
  • User-1775851492 posted
    Yes, the remote server is across internet. No firewalls. Its like I have an application which is hosted on a remote server as a part of my website. The same application is on my local machine. At the end of every day, I want to synchronise the database of the remote server with that on my local machine. (ie. The changes i made to the data on the local machine should also be done on the remote server database)
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:43 AM
  • User-319574463 posted

>Yes, the remote server is across internet. No firewalls

There are probably one or more firewalls en route. Therefore ports 1433 and 1434 are unlikely to be open throughout.

You need to think about using a web service type solution to push and pull data. You therefore there a unique Id on each table plus a an update count. Are records deleted from the database?

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:39 AM
  • User-1775851492 posted
    yes, every record has a unique ID and NO records are ever deleted
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:46 AM
  • User-319574463 posted

If the servers at both ends are synchronised to a common time source, then the job simplifies slightly.

You will need to add two fields:

• UpdateTime  - Time in GMT of the last update other than by synchronisation process.
    • UpdateCount -  Count of times each record updated other than by synchronisation process.
    Assuming you have no circular relationships with the data. then it just requires each end to poll a web service at the other table by table and bringing each record up to the latest where the UpdateCount on the local version is lower.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:11 AM