none
Web.Config Upload Error on IIS 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to upload a web.config file via WebDAV on IIS7 as it is trying to duplicate the .NET 3.5 codedom entries. If I comment or remove that section it works fine. If I do comment or remove the section however the local IIS emulator won't run the site correctly. Is there something I am missing in this whole process to allow myself to work locally and publish without having to edit the web.config everytime?
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:51 PM

All replies

• It is not at all unusual to have different web.config files for local testing vs the published site. (Different connection strings to a local database and a production database, for example.)

Either edit it by hand and remember to change it back before uploading it to your remote, or make two copies of the web.config, name them differently, and copy the correct one to web.config depending on if you are testing locally, or are uploading changes to the already published web.config.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:04 PM
  • I know I can do that but wouldn't it be so much better if we could modify the local web server to use the same web.config file?
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:30 PM
  • That is not an EW question.  (I know nothing about your server.  Try a server forum.)
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:10 PM
  • That is not an EW question.  (I know nothing about your server.  Try a server forum.)

By local web server I mean the Expression Web built-in one. I can't control it in any fashion.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:13 PM
  • "By local web server I mean the Expression Web built-in one. I can't control it in any fashion."

Rather obviously, then, no, you can't modify it to do anything other than it's doing.  (When you mentioned local IIS, I thought you actually meant a local IIS, not the EW development server.)

Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:20 PM