Adding existing project RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to link a particular screen of another project which has been added via "Project > Add Existing Project"? Or, is there any other way of linking 2 separately created projects?

Thanks for helping in advance

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:14 PM

All replies

• We need a few more details about what you are trying to do.

What platform? WPF, SL or WP7?

Are you using SketchFlow?

What do you mean by "link"?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:10 PM
  • What platform? WPF, SL or WP7? Are you using SketchFlow?

Platform is WPF and we are using Microsoft Expression Blend 4.

We are a team of 3 people working on different aspects (screens, components) of the same project. What we are looking at is a solution in Blend which helps us to consolidate and share our work within the team. Below is just a test scenario that I was working on to get solution for team collaboration.

What do you mean by "link"? 

There is a behaviour called "Navigate to" which allows us link 2 screens within the same project. This behaviour can be applied to a button either in the screen or in the component.

My query is if we import another project using "Add Existing Project..." is it possible to navigate to(link) a screen of imported project from the current project.  I am attaching an image of the blend to give you a better understanding of this scenario

Microsoft Expression Blend Add Existing Project 

• Edited by VishalJuneja Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:09 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:58 AM
  • Great detail, thanks, makes answering questions much easier :)

So the way SketchFlow is set up is that it keeps metadata about the items in your project in the file named Sketch.Flow in your Screens project. There is no direct way to do what you are proposing, a SketchFlow project can only have a single "screens" project. However, there is a workaround that might be acceptable to you. If you only define visual resources in the 2nd "screens" project, they exist as UserControls and could be instantiated into new screens in the first project. An example to hopefully make it clearer:

In your example above, right click references in the yellow screens project, add a project reference to the one in red. Build. Now in the yellow project, create a new screen, open the assets panel and find the correct screen from the red project, and drag it to the artboard. Now you can see the visuals from the red project and navigate to it from the yellow project.

This won't bring in navigation connections and other metadata from the red project, but it will allow you to use the red project like it is a control library.

A better approach might be to have 1 sketchflow project, and multiple control library projects that are referenced from the sketchflow project in the same way I mentioned in my example? That way no one is tempted to use/add metadata through SketchFlow that can't be utilized.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask follow ups about what I wrote, I know it might be a bit confusing.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:19 PM