Getting Error "You must first restore the original list in order to restore the folder XYZ" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We had Document library which contains few documents. 1st we had deleted documents from library which has gone into recycle bin.

We had deleted documents library and removed it from both recycle  bin.

Now we need those documents present in recycle bin.

While restoring documents we are getting error as "You must first restore the original list in order to restore the folder XYZ".

then had created document library with same name. but getting same mentioned error.

Can any anybody help us with this problem.

Thanks in advance

Monday, October 12, 2015 1:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Per my test, if we remove the document library from the site collection recycle bin, then the file in the library which has been deleted will also be removed from the recycle bin. 

Would you please provide us the more detailed steps about how to delete the documents and the library ?

Thanks

Best Regards

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:55 AM
  • Thanks for reply Jerry

I have tested same again at my end and documents are not getting removed from recycle bin after deleting library from recycle bin.

May be patching required to SharePoint.

But time being do you know any method by using which we can download that file in recycle bin with out restoring it. Any powershell or direct from content DB can we achieve this.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:40 PM
  • We are getting the EXACT error. And this is Microsoft's/One Drive's fault!!! We were in the middle organizing/cleaning up some critical files when the sync went down for 3-5 days this wee. This caused multiple copies of documents, deleted documents, etc. We see the file in the recycle bin, but CAN NOT restore it. We have tried to re-add the original folder, but this does not work. ANY IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS!!?!?
    Friday, October 23, 2015 1:08 PM