BizTalk 2006 R2 High Availibility Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would appreciate some feedback on the following:

- 2 Biztalk Servers (2006-R2, yeah i know...:( on 2 different vm's (Same BTS Group)).

- Adaptors used: File, WCF-WSHttp, FTP (Send), SQL

What is the best configuration for high availibility - Fail Over scenario ? I still believe I won't need Clustering, (Maybe  Network LB for the WCF services at most.., FILE ports can point to shared directories ) But what about the FTP?

In all, suggestions, ideas or white papers welcome.

Thanks

Patrick Delifer, MCTS BizTalk Server 2006
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:29 PM

Answers

• The FTP should be fine, the clustering for FTP is related to FTP Receive.
    Bill Chesnut | BizTalk Server MVP | Mexia Consulting | Melbourne Australia
    http://www.biztalkbill.com
    Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Rosanova Monday, October 31, 2011 2:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by rrggggg Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:18 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 11:14 PM
  • You can even look at this article on Clustering Receiving Hosts. The recommendation is very clear in this one on FTP Receive Handlers.

Excerpt:

For most of the BizTalk integrated adapters, high availability can be achieved by creating multiple adapter handlers to run on BizTalk Host instances on different BizTalk Server computers within a BizTalk group. FTP adapter receive handlers should not, however, be configured to run in multiple BizTalk Host instances simultaneously. This recommendation is made because the FTP receive adapter uses the FTP protocol to retrieve files from the target system and the FTP protocol does not lock files to ensure that multiple copies of the same file are not retrieved simultaneously when running multiple instances of the FTP receive adapter.

To provide high availability for the FTP receive adapter you should configure the FTP receive adapter to run in a BizTalk Host instance that has been clustered.

Regards,
    Bali
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2010,BizTalk Server 2006 and WCF
    My Blog:dpsbali-biztalkweblog
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

For high availability you need to cluster BizTalk host for FTP adapter. See this post by Kent and this one. Another resources:

HTH

Steef-Jan Wiggers

Ordina ICT B.V. | MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010

http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/ | @SteefJan

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:53 PM
  • The FTP should be fine, the clustering for FTP is related to FTP Receive.
    Bill Chesnut | BizTalk Server MVP | Mexia Consulting | Melbourne Australia
    http://www.biztalkbill.com
    Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Rosanova Monday, October 31, 2011 2:19 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 11:14 PM
  • You can even look at this article on Clustering Receiving Hosts. The recommendation is very clear in this one on FTP Receive Handlers.

Excerpt:

For most of the BizTalk integrated adapters, high availability can be achieved by creating multiple adapter handlers to run on BizTalk Host instances on different BizTalk Server computers within a BizTalk group. FTP adapter receive handlers should not, however, be configured to run in multiple BizTalk Host instances simultaneously. This recommendation is made because the FTP receive adapter uses the FTP protocol to retrieve files from the target system and the FTP protocol does not lock files to ensure that multiple copies of the same file are not retrieved simultaneously when running multiple instances of the FTP receive adapter.

To provide high availability for the FTP receive adapter you should configure the FTP receive adapter to run in a BizTalk Host instance that has been clustered.

Regards,
    Bali
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2010,BizTalk Server 2006 and WCF
    My Blog:dpsbali-biztalkweblog
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Thank you all for your valuable input.

It seems I will need clustering after all (Just discovered there were FTP receive locations, not just Send).

Patrick Delifer, MCTS BizTalk Server 2006
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:50 PM
  • For FTP Adapter -yes, you have to cluster it.

See this post... it will be helpful to you... Patrick.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/biztalkgeneral/thread/522E16E2-C7E0-47FB-AB4A-BF172DE30992

Thanks,

Hemant Bhadane MCTS - BizTalk Server ------------------------------------ Mark as "ANSWER" for the post which solves your Question.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Hiegel Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:10 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:26 PM