Viewing Resources in Blend 3 RRS feed

• General discussion

• In Blend, the Resources panel goes blank when you switch to XAML view. As a designer this really annoys me because I can't visually look at my brushes. I'm not a machine, I don't know (or want to know) any hex values beyond pure white & black, and I need to be able to see my brushes while I'm working.

In Blend 2, there was a decent workaround for this: set your view to split screen, then drag the grid splitter to the top. It was clunky and required a lot of dragging when I wanted to actually see both panels at once, but it worked.

Now with Blend 3, there's a minimum height to each panel. I can still drag it up, but it locks at ~20% of my screen height. Can you guys please either allow the user to drag it all the way to the top like you could in Blend 2, or even better let me view my Resources while using the xaml view? Coming from the Adobe platform, words cannot describe how frustrating it is that I can't see my brushes at any given moment, and when you're working with 200+ flipping between views kills productivity and memorizing them all just isn't an option.

Thanks.

Friday, April 3, 2009 6:42 PM

All replies

• I agree that not seeing resources is frustrating.   I suggest that you file a bug or feature request on the Microsoft connect site.
    https://connect.microsoft.com

All issues submitted on the connect site are monitored by the corret team within Microsoft.  You are more likely to get an answer or resolution there for this type of request than you are here in the forums.

Walt | http://wpfwonderland.wordpress.com
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 7:30 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback - unfortunately we won't be able to address this in Blend 3 as we will run out of time before we complete everything that we are currently working on. To improve the resource pane UI is def. on our TODO list.

That said, I was wondering why you are edting XAML to change brushes - would it not be more convinient if you were to use the Resource Pane UI to make these edits? That way you can use the color editor, type values in there if you want exact HEX values, etc. Sorry if I misunderstood the requirement.

Thanks,
    Unni
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback - unfortunately we won't be able to address this in Blend 3 as we will run out of time before we complete everything that we are currently working on. To improve the resource pane UI is def. on our TODO list.

That said, I was wondering why you are edting XAML to change brushes - would it not be more convinient if you were to use the Resource Pane UI to make these edits? That way you can use the color editor, type values in there if you want exact HEX values, etc. Sorry if I misunderstood the requirement.

Thanks,
    Unni

I guess I'm not being clear enough. I don't want to edit the brushes in the Resources panel, I just want to reference them. Unless I either memorize all of my brush names or print out a cheat sheet of all them (and reprint it every time they're updated), I have no way of referencing my brushes while in the xaml view.

For example, lets say I have a grid that I want to apply a background brush to. As it stands, I have to switch to another viewing mode to pick a brush from my resources, then switch back to xaml view to continue working. It's very frustrating and counter-intuative.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:40 PM
  • I agree that not seeing resources is frustrating.   I suggest that you file a bug or feature request on the Microsoft connect site.
    https://connect.microsoft.com

All issues submitted on the connect site are monitored by the corret team within Microsoft.  You are more likely to get an answer or resolution there for this type of request than you are here in the forums.

Walt | http://wpfwonderland.wordpress.com

Thanks for the link, I'll crosspost this there as well.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:40 PM