Can't boot up the Windows Developer Preview disc in my old laptop

Question

• Hello, I am struggling to boot up the windows developer preview installation disc on my old xp home edition laptop, (which has a file missing or corrupt, which is stopping it from loading up the operating system).

I believe I have burned the correct .ISO file to the disc (DVD +R), in the correct way using a third party program.

Can anyone please help me with this problem

Thanks.

Liam

Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Depending on what the problem is, you might need to go into your computer's BIOS and change the boot settings. Do access BIOS settings, you need to press a certain key (usually F2 or Delete) on startup. Once in the BIOS, use the keyboard to scroll through tabs along the top of the screen. Keep doing this until one of the options you see is for "Boot Configuration." I don't know how your BIOS setup will be configured, but you should be able to access settings for boot devices; BIOS software varies from computer to computer, so I can't give exact directions. However, if you access the right option (look around if you are uncertain), you will find settings for boot devices. Change the order of boot devices so that your computer boots to the CD drive before booting to the hard drive (don't remove any devices from the list).

If your computer is already configured to boot from the CD drive before the hard drive, and you still can't boot to the CD, please describe the issue in more detail so you can get more advice.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:14 PM
  • The laptop is configured to boot up from the CD drive.

When I turn the computer on it goes to a screen saying it is checking if the computer can be booted from the disc and it always fails after 2mins.

I don't know if the missing or corrupt file has anything to do with this problem, but I have know idea why this issue is occurring and how to fix it.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:41 PM
  • For clarification, Is the missing file a part of your Windows XP installation?

A missing or corrupt file on your hard drive shouldn't affect trying to boot from the CD. Does the CD work in other computers? Can you boot from other CD's in your laptop?

I would tell you to try the CD while booted into Windows on your laptop, but it doesn't look like that's possible.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:45 PM
  • It says that this file is missing or corrupt (when I turn the computer on without any disc in the CD drive):

Windows\System\Vgaoem.fon

I have inserted a windows xp recovery disc for this matter to try and resolve this problem without it working.

The computer did boot from this disc so I have know idea why the Windows Developer Preview disc isn't working.

Liam
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Vgaoem.fon... that sounds like a font file. Since it is stored on your hard drive, it shouldn't affect the process of booting from the CD. Are you sure that the Developer Preview CD is working properly?
    Friday, November 18, 2011 1:41 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply.

Yes I think it is a font file but it must be causing some issue to prevent the computer booting up.

Also the windows developer preview disc does work on other computers which I do not understand why it won't work on the laptop?

Have you got any more suggestions to resolve this problem?

Liam
    • Edited by Liam WM Friday, November 18, 2011 10:31 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:30 PM
  • I don't know what the problem is. Maybe the font is causing some kind of problem, but it's unlikely. If there is nothing on that computer that you need to save, than you may be able to use a Windows CD to format the hard drive. Doing this will cause you to lose everything on the drive, but you should be able to install the Developer Preview after that.

If you can't boot the computer from the CD, you may be able to make a DOS boot CD with a third-party disc burner like Roxio or Sonic. This is an unlikely possibility, and you may even need a computer with a floppy drive to do that.

Friday, November 18, 2011 10:42 PM
  • Guess I should leave it then.

Thanks for the help.

Liam
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:22 AM
  • You're giving up? There must be some way to get it working.

The Windows XP recovery disc also did not work? Is it the same Windows XP as the version installed on the computer?

Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Yes it is, I had it from a friend. Its called 'Windows XP home edition recovery disc' which is the same version.

I have gone into command prompt in the bios with the recovery disc put in, I have put in the correct address for the missing file in, and it can't expand it.

Liam
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:12 AM
  • What are the specifications of your laptop? If it is below Windows 8's system requirements, then you will not be able to install Windows 8 on it.

On the subject of my previous question...
    It looks like the answer to the question I was actually asking is a "no." What I meant was, does the CD contain the exact same copy as the Windows XP installed on the computer? In other words, if your PC is set up to use a certain product key, is the CD for the exact same copy of Windows (product key and all)? If you borrowed the disc from a friend, the answer is "no." Every Windows CD and pre-installed OEM version contains a product key that is unique to that copy.

You will probably have to format your PC's hard drive in order to fix it.

Is there any data on the hard drive that you care about? If so, you can't format the drive, unless you want to lose everything. If the laptop contains old files that you neither want nor need, or only contains the operating system, it is safe to format it if you want to install the Developer Preview.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Formatting the hard drive seems the only way to go, but if windows 8 doesn't install now how can it after the format?
    Liam
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:36 AM
  • Again, what are the specifications of your laptop? You should check all of the following:

• Amount of RAM - Windows 8 needs at least 1GB
    • CPU speed and number of cores - while Windows 8 will "work" on a 1GHz CPU, it really runs best with at least 1.5 GHz and two cores
    • How large is your laptop's hard drive? Windows 8 needs at least a 20GB disk, and that is just to install the OS.
    • Are your computer's graphics DX9 capable?

If the answer to any of these is "no," you can't install Windows 8 on your laptop.

Are you using the 64-bit version or the 32-bit version? Laptops made before late 2006 with Intel processors do not support 64-bit software. AMD CPU's added 64-bit support earlier than Intel.

Your laptop's BIOS may also need to be updated, but I don't know how you can do that without booting into Windows.

• Edited by WindowsVista567 Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:16 PM Removed formatting problem
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:03 AM
  • My laptop covers all of this, it has:

• 250GB,
    • 1GHz,
    • it should be DX9 capable,
    • It is 32-bit,

The bios may need to be updated, but as you said that is virtually impossible if you can't boot up the operating system.

I don't think there is any way of resolving this issue, unless you format the hard drive and attempt to reinstall windows.

Liam
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Yes, I agree that reinstalling Windows is your only option at this point. I would say that your BIOS probably needs to be updated.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:58 AM
  • I will attempt to format the hard drive.

Thanks for your help.

Liam
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:19 AM