none
Login problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SQL Server Database I created for a company. They use Azure to house their DB. I used MS Access for the front end. The issue is that everything I do in Access Required me to put in the Azure user name and password for each table. Opening the database put in the username and password 12 times. change records put in the password 12 times. Generate a report put in the password 12 times. Is there a setting in Access or Azure that I'm missing that allows me to enter the username and password once when I open the db? I've never had this problem before but this is the first time I've connected to an Azure DB?  If this is just part of Azure it's a really stupid part and makes Azure unusable.
    • Moved by Dan Rediske Thursday, November 10, 2016 5:24 PM Expertise may be in Access and not SQL
    Saturday, November 5, 2016 9:01 PM

Answers

• We got it solved.  It had to do with the odbc driver.  we removed it and reinstalled and it is now working.
    • Marked as answer by Ray1127 Friday, November 18, 2016 4:41 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 4:41 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately I don't know.  The company contracted with a local Service provider and they are providing the Azure Site and Control.   All I have access to is the SQL Server Database through SQL Server Management Studio for the database tables and Microsoft Access for the front end to the database.  My emails to the company largely go unanswered.  SQL Server Management Studio works fine It's the front end I have issues with and only on my laptop.  The front end I've provided to the company works fine there at the company.  I'm contracted to the company not an employee.
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:50 PM
  • Hi Ray1127,

I can see that there is SQL Azure, MS SQL and Access involved in this issue.

you had mentioned that you are having an issue that it asked credentials for every single operation.

but here we don't know that how you connect SQL with Access and SQL connected with Azure.

so we are not able to make decision that issue is with SQL or Azure.

you had mentioned that the front end Access that you had supplied to the Company is working fine.

so please tell us that how the setup of that Access is different then the setup of the Access installed on your laptop.

it can give some hint so that we can find the cause of the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 7:03 AM
  • The SQL Server Database is stored within Azure.  I am not that familiar with Azure so I may not get the termination correct.   The only difference is that my laptop accesses the database off-site where there's accesses the database on-site.  I developed the front end locally in MS Access then moved the tables and structure to SQL Server in Azure.  I then created an ODBC Connection to the Data in Azure.  The ODBC Connection was then created on each user's PC and the front end database was copied from my laptop to a flash drive and copied from there to the user's PC's.  I suspect the issue is the fact that 1.  I'm accessing Azure off-site and 2.  My IP address is outside the range of the users IP address.  All of theirs start in the 65.244 range I believe.  Unfortunately I don't have the specifics in front of me but that's what I remember.  Mine is in the 44. something range.  (Not currently on my laptop so I'm not sure of the full address I do know it starts in the 44.   The only other difference is MS Access on my Laptop is the 2010 version and the user's have the 2016 version.
    Friday, November 11, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Hi Ray1127,

here I agree with you on two things.

(1) you accessing the Azure Off site.

I recommend you to raise the question regarding this on Azure Forum.

so that we can see the response by that forum and find the helpful suggestions from Azure Experts.

because this forum only support the Access related issue so you will not get any specific suggestions regarding Azure here.

the link of the Azure forum mentioned below.

Azure Forums

(2) you had mentioned that you are using Access 2010 and your client using 2016.

I suggest you to upgrade with Access 2016 and test it again.

so we can check the possibility of this reason to occur this issue.

it will help us to narrow down the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 14, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Deepak- I moved this question from the Azure forum, because this is asking how he can set up a single set of authentication against his Azure database in Access. This does not seem to be a shortcoming of Azure itself, but rather of how Access is set up for what I assume might be 12 tables or 12 connections to the same database(s).

The question about Active Directory was to see if it might be possible to do integrated authentication for all of the connections, avoiding the username/password completely. Can you think of any ways that you can simplify authentication on the Access side? (For instance, storing credentials, or some other workaround?) 

Monday, November 14, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Hi Dan Rediske,

op mentioned that he is using ODBC to connect to the Azure Sql database.

there are several ways to connect.

if he come back and inform us about the exact way then we can try to reproduce the issue on our side and may be we can try to use single sign on.

What is application access and single sign-on with Azure Active Directory?

or op can directly try to implement this and let us know about the results.

Regards

Deepak  

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:49 AM
  • I do use ODBC because that's the only one I'm aware of.  As I stated my experience with Azure is very limited.  What confuses me is that I use the same type of connection on all machines but I'm only having an issue with 1. 
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 5:04 PM
  • Hi Ray1127,

did you try to test with the suggestion last time I suggested you?

-> to try to taste the same thing using Access 2016

-> you had mentioned that you are off site.

so are you able to connect your laptop with their network? and taste it again.

also last time I suggested a link for single sign on did you try to look in to that to implement.

if you did not try anything then first try it and let us know about the results.

without try anything we are not able to narrow down the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:58 PM
  • We got it solved.  It had to do with the odbc driver.  we removed it and reinstalled and it is now working.
    • Marked as answer by Ray1127 Friday, November 18, 2016 4:41 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 4:41 AM