dynamic treeview control with multiple checkboxes per node/item RRS feed

• Question

• User-153404742 posted

I can have a treeview that's populated from database and have a checkbox for each item....however, I want to design it so that each node/item has 3 or possibly 4 checkboxes horizontally.....Is there a good design for this...how do I attach a checkboxlist or individual mutliple checkboxes per item?

Monday, August 19, 2019 8:19 PM

All replies

• User288213138 posted

Hi inkaln,

There is property called ShowCheckBoxes in treecontrol, it is used to gets or sets a value indicating which node types will display a check box in the TreeView control.

You can set ShowCheckBoxes="All".

The code:

<asp:TreeView ID="TreeView1" runat="server" ShowCheckBoxes="All">

</asp:TreeView>
    protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                if (!IsPostBack)
                {
                    DataTable dt = this.GetData("SELECT Id, Name FROM Test38");
                    PopulateTreeView(dt, 0, null);
                }
            }
            private void PopulateTreeView(DataTable dtParent, int parentId, TreeNode treeNode)
            {
                foreach (DataRow row in dtParent.Rows)
                {
                    TreeNode child = new TreeNode
                    {
                        Text = row["Name"].ToString(),
                        Value = row["Id"].ToString()
                    };
                    if (parentId == 0)
                    {
                        TreeView1.Nodes.Add(child);
                        DataTable dtChild = this.GetData("SELECT Id, Name FROM Test39 WHERE CustomerId = " + child.Value);
                        PopulateTreeView(dtChild, int.Parse(child.Value), child);
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        treeNode.ChildNodes.Add(child);
                    }
                }
            }
            private DataTable GetData(string query)
            {
                DataTable dt = new DataTable();
                string constr = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["constr"].ConnectionString;
                using (SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(constr))
                {
                    using (SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(query))
                    {
                        using (SqlDataAdapter sda = new SqlDataAdapter())
                        {
                            cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
                            cmd.Connection = con;
                            sda.SelectCommand = cmd;
                            sda.Fill(dt);
                        }
                    }
                    return dt;
                }
            }

The result:

Best regards,

Sam

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:08 AM
  • User-153404742 posted

I can do this...but what I need is per each of the treenodes and it's childnodes, I need to have a horizontal checkboxlist with 3 checkboxes in each.....

so by Sam 1, I need to have three checkboxes and same for n1, n2, n3, Sam2 and the rest of it.  The levels could be as deep as 5 or more levels as it's all dynamic.  I need to be able to have three columns per each of the nodes and have a title at the top for each of the checkboxes.

he result:

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:44 PM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi inkaln,

inkaln

I can do this...but what I need is per each of the treenodes and it's childnodes, I need to have a horizontal checkboxlist with 3 checkboxes in each.....

so by Sam 1, I need to have three checkboxes and same for n1, n2, n3, Sam2 and the rest of it.  The levels could be as deep as 5 or more levels as it's all dynamic.  I need to be able to have three columns per each of the nodes and have a title at the top for each of the checkboxes

According to your description, I couldn’t understand your requirement clearly.

Do you mean you want to create horizontal nodes?

But as far as I know, the standard TreeView control doesn't provide the horizontal orientation.

Unless you could write a custom control or you could try using a horizontal Menu control, if it will fit your requirements.

If I misunderstand your requirement, please post more details information about your requirement(You can post a style image).

Best regards,

Sam

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:38 AM
  • User409696431 posted

"According to your description, I couldn’t understand your requirement clearly."

I believe the requirement from inkaln is clear:  3 checkboxes beside each node, not just one.   (There is nothing in the TreeView control that supports that requirement out of the box.)

Thursday, August 22, 2019 3:18 PM