Issues Starting Bootloader

Question

• I've been having real problems actually booting correctly at all.

I'm in a dual-boot with windows 7 & 8 - Windows 7's on a normal SATA2 drive, 8's on a RAID 0 array.

If I boot solely to the dev preview I can boot fine. Once I select Windows 7, it does the frankly annoying restart (although perhaps necessary - UEFI's a new one on me, and I can't be bothered to look it up until I need it), but otherwise boots fine.

Once I'm finished with 7 and shut down, the next time I reboot the video mode is set, the Windows Developer Preview logo and progress wheel is shown, but my HDD indicator cuts out completely. This happens no matter which HDD I try to boot to. If I leave it, it eventually blue-screens and I get "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" printed next to the seemingly sadistic sadface. This is before OS selection.

After a couple of goes at this, with the same result, it tries to boot into repair. This takes forever, and makes the HDD indicator flash at a regular, but large, interval. Sometimes it doesn't flash at all, and likewise refuses to boot into repair. Eventually it will, after a blasted restart or two. I'm not liking the UK keyboard layout being pushed to practically the back AGAIN, either. The insult of recognising "US" English as an actual language, and being the only one at that, is bad enough.

Once into repair I get the normal three options. However, Continue has "Exit and continue to %1" as it's tip. If I select Advanced -> Automatic Repair, no operating systems are shown to select, and if I select additional OSes, the whole thing dies, and the computer resets.

Up until now this has simply been a gigantic nuisance, requiring several restarts, and my P6X58D-E is horribly slow to boot. However it has now come to the point, just after updating windows 7 to 7 SP1 (tells you how frequently I've been reduced to actually booting to it...), that it refuses to boot at all, repeating those same steps as typed above.

As there doesn't seem to be any kind of startup repair - and I only read about the Win7 default boot now (silly not to think of it, mind) - I'm pretty stuck.

There are a lot of really great things about the preview. It's a shame that it's been spoilt (at least on my desktop) by this booting issue.

By the way - I'm not using Bitlocker, or anything like that, not that I could see that as being much of an issue; and the problem seemed to appear pretty spontaneously.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated - I'm without a computer here :P

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:51 AM

All replies

• The Admin Jr,

I am sorry to hear about your problems.  Can you tell me more about how you setup the dual boot between Windows 7 and Windows Developer Preview? 

Windows Developer Preview comes with Hyper Visor, with that said have you thought about installing Windows Developer Preview as your primary operating system and then installing Windows 7 to a .VHD?  That would eliminate the need for dual boot all together.

Thanks,

Chris
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Well, that's great to say with hindsight :P, but I really need 7 running separately, and even if I'm booting straight to a VHD, I can't see the difference, and I'd loose access to ALL my files, as you'll see:

I have three Samsung Spinpoints - two in a RAID 0 array, which have only Windows 8 installed. I'm not sure about the partitions with relation to what the Windows 8 setup actually did, other than that *I* haven't created any extra ones myself - I just made a single partition in the setup.

The third has the Windows 7 on, again exclusively, and again with only 1 partition which I set up.

I installed Windows 7 on both the RAID array and individual drive first of all, but then formatted and overwrote the partition table on the RAID array with my Windows 8 install. I retained Windows 8 as the default OS, as I had assumed that it might prolong the boot, and hadn't noticed this Windows Dev Preview forum tucked away under a different superforum, otherwise I would have checked.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:25 PM
  • You can get back to the Windows 7 Bootloader.
    Go to Start. Click on Control Panel. Go to bottom and click on More settings. Go to System. Click on Advanced system settings. Go to Advanced tab. Go to the Startup and Recover section. Under StartUp and change the default operating system to Windows 7. Then, you will get the Windows 7 boot loader.

Look at the thread below for other bootloader information.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/4e8a9297-6420-47d5-ad6b-2f906063afff
    Marilyn
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Firstly - for the UI designers out there, loving that click-sequence there. Just to get to control panel. Fantastic. A good example of how the normal desktop and the metro UI just don't mesh at all. (And starting webpages and the like with the metro IE is the biggest pain...personally I just think of it as a pretty start menu, why there's a requirement for a whole separate app environment is beyond me.)

Secondly - that would be great, Marilyn, if I could actually boot. Frankly, I wouldn't have downloaded the developer preview if I wasn't a developer and didn't consider myself able to achieve something as simple as that. Thanks for the suggestion though :P

Monday, October 31, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Right, well if I can contribute to something with my problem - that's great. I might just have to use my laptop, and put my non-RAID Windows 7 HDD into it, and try to repair that. I'll probably have to buy a new DVD drive to get the Windows 8 HDDs bootable again though. Bad times.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 11:56 PM
  • Open the disk management console in any of your systems. Check which partition is marked as "system" and "active". That's where your dual-boot active BCD and active bootmanager are located. Depending on whether you want a WDP or Windows 7 bootloader to show upon reboot run "bcdboot.exe" command. For example, your active partition is the one containing Windows 7 and you want Windows 8 bootloader to run first. Run bcdboot.exe [Windows 8 partition]:\Windows /s [Windows 7 partition]:

After this make sure the values for "nx" are determined as "OptOut" for both bootloaders.

Vladimir Shipitsyn

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:59 AM