MSI with dynamic files. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm want to generate MSI that copied files to a certain location. I previously have done this using setting the Project Output. Now I need to a create an MSI that can dynamically take files from a constant location. The files can be any type and any number of files.

How can I generate such MSI .

I also have a question on deployment.
    Most windows applications are generally deployed using MSI. Once after deployment, say if we need to update a particular file (hot fix / patch), how will this be done? Generating MSI that deploys all old files is not a right thing..

One approach would be to manually copy and replace the file in server...

What is the best approach for Hot Fix / patch that updates only one files?

Note : VS 2005 is used.

• Moved by Ego Jiang Monday, July 8, 2013 8:43 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 5:28 PM

Answers

• You're in the Visual Studio setup projects forum, but this applies to other tools that generate MSI files:

1. An MSI file is a static package containing files included when it is built. If you something to install a collection of files that is chosen at install time, then by definition that's not an MSI file that's self-contained with all the files in a CAB file embedded in the MSI file.

2. For a small fix to update a few files you can create a patch, a .msp file. Visual Studio doesn't have that capability. You cannot manually just replace a file that was installed from an MSI package with another version. Windows keeps track of each installed file and its version when installed from an MSI file, and a mismatch may cause a repair to reinstall the now damaged file.

Phil Wilson

• Proposed as answer by Chester Hong Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chester Hong Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:12 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am moving this case to Setup Project forum for further support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 8, 2013 8:43 AM
  • You're in the Visual Studio setup projects forum, but this applies to other tools that generate MSI files:

1. An MSI file is a static package containing files included when it is built. If you something to install a collection of files that is chosen at install time, then by definition that's not an MSI file that's self-contained with all the files in a CAB file embedded in the MSI file.

2. For a small fix to update a few files you can create a patch, a .msp file. Visual Studio doesn't have that capability. You cannot manually just replace a file that was installed from an MSI package with another version. Windows keeps track of each installed file and its version when installed from an MSI file, and a mismatch may cause a repair to reinstall the now damaged file.

Phil Wilson

• Proposed as answer by Chester Hong Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chester Hong Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:12 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 5:41 PM