none
Force delete Recovery Services vault RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I currently have a Recovery Services vault that previously used Azure File and Folders backup from a server.
    This server is no longer in use and is not available anymore and the data is no longer relevant.

I am trying to delete the recovery services vault created for the backup of this server but i get the error message:
    Vault 'RecoveryServicesVault' cannot be deleted as there are existing resources within the vault. Please delete any registered servers,

Since I am not able to access this server anymore and deregister the file and folders backup, how can I delete this vault including the data?

Its not favorable paying for the backup service and dataconsumption of this backup and therefore we want it all deleted.

Thanks for any answers.

Best regards, Anders Dahl

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If a backup vault is no longer being used, you can delete it to free up storage space. Delete is only enabled after all registered servers have been deleted from the vault.

check this article:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/backup-azure-manage-windows-server/

If it is online backup, then you can click on unregisters servers under online backup actions and delete it, check this thread:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/53f0372f-d072-44fb-b297-26db24f0acc8/recovery-services-cannot-delete?forum=windowsazureonlinebackup

Regards,
    Azam Khan

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:20 PM
  • I have the same problem. Did you figure out how to do it ?
    Friday, June 28, 2019 5:43 PM
    1. Sign in to your Azure account. Sign in to your Azure subscription with the Connect-AzureRmAccount command and follow the on-screen directions.  Connect-AzureRmAccount The first time you use Azure Backup, you must register the Azure Recovery Service provider in your subscription with Register-AzureRmResourceProvider.  Register-AzureRmResourceProvider -ProviderNamespace "Microsoft.RecoveryServices"
    2. Open a PowerShell window with Administrator privileges.
    3. Use Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted to remove any restrictions.
    4. Run the following command to download the Azure Resource Manager Client package from chocolately.org. iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))
    5. Use the following command to install the Azure Resource Manager API Client. choco.exe install armclient
    6. In the Azure portal, gather the Subscription ID and associated resource group name for the Recovery Services vault you want to delete.
    7. In PowerShell, run the following command using your subscription ID, resource group name, and Recovery Services vault name. When you run the command, it deletes the vault and all dependencies. ARMClient.exe delete /subscriptions/<subscriptionID>/resourceGroups/<resourcegroupname>/providers/Microsoft.RecoveryServices/vaults/<recovery services vault name>?api-version=2015-03-15 The vault must be empty before you can delete it. Otherwise you get an error citing "Vault cannot be deleted as there are existing resources within this vault". The following command demonstrates how to remove a container within a vault: ARMClient.exe delete /subscriptions/<subscriptionID>/resourceGroups/<resourcegroupname>/providers/Microsoft.RecoveryServices/vaults/<recovery services vault name>/registeredIdentities/<container name>?api-version=2016-06-01
    Sunday, September 8, 2019 12:30 PM