Asus motherboard utilities won't install

Question

• Although this is my first post I will not bore you all with my experiences so far with W8. I am sure you have all been there. Suffice it to say that at best everything was at least 3 steps from heaven and at worst I was staring at a screen with no obvious means of escape let alone a way of getting to where I wanted to go. Of course I have only just started and need to find my way around the desktop but I do find the Metro side of it gets in the way. I wish I could just turn it off.

However, I do have a problem. Normally I run the computer in auto mode which means it quietly hums away to itself and is unobtrusive. After starting W8 the fans etc were still going full chat and this had me reaching for the Asus motherboard utilities disc. Unfortunately, on trying to install these I get the error message
    "Motherboard support CD does not support this operating system (WNT_6.2P_64)".
    Now I can't go running for an update - there won't be one. I did find a similar thread regarding VIA sound drivers and adding WNT_6.2P_64 = Win7_64 to the lanquage tags but if anyone has any further information I would be glad of it.

After that I can 'quietly' move on see how to configure the rest of it (or not).

David

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Steven, thanks for dropping in.

I had started to go down that route before your post with some success but was then waylaid by other things. Anyway the sum total is this.

The Asus Driver Doc (updated 14 Nov 2011) was downloaded. I hoped that this might scan and identify any requirement for installing M/B drivers etc. It did install but then had 'Runtime error '0'' followed by 'Invalid data base file'.

I downloaded the zip files for the individual utilities. I found that the program I normally use for unzipping does not work in W8 but fortunately I see that WE already has one. The method used for installing most of the remainder was first to add WNT_6.2P_64 = win7_64 to the AsusSetup.ini files, and then R/C on AsusSetup.exe to troubleshoot in recommended settings. This would result in 'Fail to install ACPI driver'  but a repeat with 'Try different settings' set to W7 was successful.

There was one exception and that was the turbo key. I get a window saying that Windows protected my PC, 'Windows smartscreen prevented an unrecognised program from starting. Running this program might put your PC at risk'. Since I do not use turbo I did not continue anyway.

I had installed Direct X (from somewhere at Microsoft) and proceeded to install Avid Studio. This wanted to make several changes to both DirectX and NET framework 3.5.1 before giving the error 'Windows could not complete the requested changes - reason 0x80004005 unspecified error'. On a repeat install it installed successfully.

Overall then, there will need to be installation issues addressed either by Microsoft in W8 or by program developers before general release.

What I did not like was the random addition of items added to the Metro menu. As an example, the Avid Studio program added 2 items to the desktop but 9 items to the Metro menu. 7 of these were for un-installation of various parts of the software. It seems dangerous to me to have these so exposed as well as all the work involved in reorganising everything.

• Marked as answer by d r h Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:16 PM
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:53 PM

All replies

• d r h,

Have you tried installing the problematic drivers in compatibly mode?

You can do this by following the below instructions:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Please post back with your results.

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

I tried your route for the disc install with the error "Can't find AsusSetup.ini = N:\BIN\AsusSetup.ini".  Well, I couldn't find it either. However it did install on Win7.

Copied the disc to an HD and added WNT_6.2P_64 = Win7_64 to the language tags of all the AsusSetup.ini's I could find. I then tried to install each utility individually without compatibility and then with compatibility (by retrying quickly). I had the following results

Turbo Key            "Failed to install ACPI driver"
    A1 Suite             "Failed to install ACPI driver"
    Cool & Quiet     OK
    Turbo V              "Failed to install ACPI driver"
    Probe 2          OK with compatibility
    Asus Update      OK
    Direct X         Not tried
    Adobe reader     OK

So I still have to resolve installing the ACPI driver.

Meanwhile I have fitted the Win 8 drive into a 5 1/4 slot and reinstalled to give a multi boot system (2x W7 and W8). I notice on bootup that the default OS is not shown to be selected (it is if W7 is the default) and induces the 'where am I' effect. Either 5 or 30 secs is not much of a choice and I reset this to 15 secs.

So far, the inside of W8 does not look much different than W7 although it is more awkward to get in. I did redirect something to the taskbar which means most stuff is available from a taskbar popup. I still seem to be short of paint (for editing screenshots before posting), notepad and calculator for instance.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hey D r h,

Instead of using the installers from your DVD, try visiting the site linked below to download the installers for Turbo Key, A1 Suite, Turbo V, and Probe 2. Then once you have those installers downloaded, try using the compatibility troubleshooter described by Chris above to install each program.
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Support

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Hi Steven, thanks for dropping in.

I had started to go down that route before your post with some success but was then waylaid by other things. Anyway the sum total is this.

The Asus Driver Doc (updated 14 Nov 2011) was downloaded. I hoped that this might scan and identify any requirement for installing M/B drivers etc. It did install but then had 'Runtime error '0'' followed by 'Invalid data base file'.

I downloaded the zip files for the individual utilities. I found that the program I normally use for unzipping does not work in W8 but fortunately I see that WE already has one. The method used for installing most of the remainder was first to add WNT_6.2P_64 = win7_64 to the AsusSetup.ini files, and then R/C on AsusSetup.exe to troubleshoot in recommended settings. This would result in 'Fail to install ACPI driver'  but a repeat with 'Try different settings' set to W7 was successful.

There was one exception and that was the turbo key. I get a window saying that Windows protected my PC, 'Windows smartscreen prevented an unrecognised program from starting. Running this program might put your PC at risk'. Since I do not use turbo I did not continue anyway.

I had installed Direct X (from somewhere at Microsoft) and proceeded to install Avid Studio. This wanted to make several changes to both DirectX and NET framework 3.5.1 before giving the error 'Windows could not complete the requested changes - reason 0x80004005 unspecified error'. On a repeat install it installed successfully.

Overall then, there will need to be installation issues addressed either by Microsoft in W8 or by program developers before general release.

What I did not like was the random addition of items added to the Metro menu. As an example, the Avid Studio program added 2 items to the desktop but 9 items to the Metro menu. 7 of these were for un-installation of various parts of the software. It seems dangerous to me to have these so exposed as well as all the work involved in reorganising everything.

• Marked as answer by d r h Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:16 PM
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Hey D r h,

Thanks for the update and for your feedback!

Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns.  This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern.

Steven
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:02 PM