VS 2010 Debugger hangs (VB) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody...

Im developing several applications under Visual Studio, and now have a real nightmare in hands. When i start to debug, VS hangs completely. Windows allows me to start task admin, and close the "devenv" process. I have serious problems here. Can anyone help me? Ideas? Suggestions? I need to deliver my projects before the deadline!

Win 7 Pro 32 bits, VS 2010 SP1, running on HP computer based on Intel i5, 4gb ram. everything works as intended, except VS. When debug crashes, the devenv process  uses about 25% of CPU and 250~400Mb of ram.

Bernardo Salazar
    Monday, October 3, 2011 9:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike.

I installed a week ago all the dev thing in my HP Touchsmart. I dont have the problems that happens in ProBook, but, i have one different: to debug any modification in code, i need to "clean <myapplication>" and "generate <my application>" before i press F5 to start debug. Its a quite annoying, but i have to live in this way until MS releases a patch, or a Win8/VS2011 is fully released.

:(

Thanks anyway for your continued support

Greetings

Bernardo Salazar
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Bernardo,

Thank you for posting on MSDN Forum.

Please try one of the following ways:

1. Disable property evaluation and other implicit function calls

•Tools -> Options
    •Go to Debugging
    •Uncheck "Enable property evaluation and other implicit function calls"

2. Delete the suo file

• Delete the .suo file (this file is hidden)
    • Delete the .user file
    • Delete the folders and files in the bin folder

3. Disable IntelliTrace:

• Open Tools->Options->IntelliTrace
    • Uncheck "Enable IntelliTrace"

I hope this will be helpful.

Best regards,

Mike Feng [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:56 AM
  • Hi Mike Feng.

I already disabled intellitrace, and the "property evaluation and other implicit calls" setting. Still with problems. Debug starts ONLY if i have closed all windows inside IDE. If i keep open, lets say, a form designer window, of a code window, the IDE hangs completely, and is needed to close via Windows' Task Admin.

I only not tried the delete of .SUO and .USER file. This files is in each proyect folder?

Another question: You know if MS have planned to give us a quick solution? I have a week googling for this (finding a solution) and really are a huge quantity of people angry.

Bernardo Salazar
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Hi Bernardo,

>>This files is in each proyect folder?

No, Every project has only one file-- only one .suo file and one .user file.

Now, please delete one more folder Obj .

>>You know if MS have planned to give us a quick solution?

Please try here: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1117&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn

Then, the microsoft engineer will give you more quickly responses than this forum.

Best regards,

Mike Feng [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Hi Bernardo,

I write this to want to know the situation on your side. How about your issue now? Do you have any updates?

Best regards,

Mike Feng [MSFT]

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:45 AM
  • Hi Mike, thanks for your interest and support.

Currently, after disabling IntelliTrace, the property evaluation and implicit function calls, deleted the .suo files and obj folder in every project (i have currently 4 VB projects under development and 1 in Silverlight) the debug runs modestly. Sometimes hangs, and i close the IDE and debugging process via Task Manager, but it happens few times at day (normally two times at day). Now, Im working, but concerned, 'cos i readed a comment of another user, that says if you delete the .suo files, the debug works again, but for a short time, 'cos the debug begins to fail again, and its needed to delete again the .suo file, and so on...

Meanwhile, i continue working in this way, with the hope MS release soon a fix or service pack for this.

Thanks again Mike.

Greetings.

Bernardo Salazar
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi Bernardo,

Do you have try open your project on a whole new computer? If not, please try to test this way, and as the same of the former way, only keep the source files on the new machine -- delete the .suo file, .user file and the all files and folders in the bin folder.

Best regards,

Mike Feng [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:56 AM
  • Hi Mike.

I will install the same VS with the same options in my computer at home (an HP touchsmart, with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit). Here at office work in my HP ProBook (based on Intel i5), Windows 7 Pro 32bit. Both Windows are up-to-date with all service packs and every patch that MS releases via Windows Update. I will let you know when i installed everything.

Grettings

Bernardo Salazar
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Hi Bernardo,

OK, I look forward you.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Mike Feng [MSFT]

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Hi Bernardo,

How about your issue now?

Do you have any updates?

Best regards,

Mike Feng [MSFT]

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Hi Mike.

I installed a week ago all the dev thing in my HP Touchsmart. I dont have the problems that happens in ProBook, but, i have one different: to debug any modification in code, i need to "clean <myapplication>" and "generate <my application>" before i press F5 to start debug. Its a quite annoying, but i have to live in this way until MS releases a patch, or a Win8/VS2011 is fully released.

:(

Thanks anyway for your continued support

Greetings

Bernardo Salazar
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Hello Bernardo : I also experienced the same problem and still there. It happens in my system

1 ) when there are too many programs are running and too much ram /cpu is being consumed 

2)  When there are many designers of the page are open in vs (Indirectly it is related to above issue)

so for working it well : I run very few applications in background and close the designers which are not needed  and it works perfect.

Hope it will help you something

Want to add MVP with my name.
    • Edited by bahushekh Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:04 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Hi Bahushekh

Normally i dont have a lot of windows open. Just only IE 9 (with two or three tabs open, normally with googled things related to development), and the VS 2010 IDE with four or five code or form designers opened.

Im a little disappointed with MS. As developer, I expect MS releasea world-class IDE, not a buggy, hard to work dev environment.

I suppose that the core-duo HP Touchsmart dont have enough processing power to handle correctly the VS IDE.

This is a total different problem that i used to have in my I5-based HP ProBook.

But, i must thank you for your interest. I will try closing IE.

Greetings from Venezuela

Bernardo Salazar
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:15 PM