Windows Store - Is this the End of Windows? (As an open Plattform for Apps)

General discussion

• I'm a "fanatic" and professional "Windows Software Developer" since Windows 3.1 and especially since Visual Basic 3.0. Developing and selling software is my only profession. And I'm a big fan of Visual Studio, WPF, Silferlight and all those really great tools and also of the great and open Windows Plattform.

But the news about the Windows Store, beeing the only place to distribute good looking Windows Apps is in my opinion the End of Windows for me as a free Developer. If this holds really true I'm in great trouble. Do I really have to switch to the JAVA and Linux world now?

Microsoft - You can NOT do this!!!!

I mean: An optional Windows Store to sell Windows Apps worldwide would be really great, but making it mandatory would just destroy the openness of Windows! It would become like Windwos Phone now, where I can not use my own apps any more...

Or is there something I misunderstood? Any help would be very nice!

Kind regards and hopefull greetings from Germany,

Markus (And sorry for my bad english...)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:11 AM

All replies

• The idea of store is a good idea , since all cool applications would be in one place and it would be less possibility of risk of Malware distribution since all apps will check for security before they add to store. It is also benefit to users that instead of searching for something all over the net , they could find it in one place.

All idea that being discuss for now is just idea and Windows Team looking for great feedback like what you said to improve this process.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Hey Markus,

I see your concerns. AFAIK only Metro style apps will be the only ones distributed via the Windows Store. That is, if you just will write 'legacy' Desktop apps it will work for you.

Regarding Metro style apps IMHO the concept of the store offers a consistent experience and high security for customers; cf Android phones or iPhone (both stores are quite disparate).

I wonder why you can't consider Windows Store as your new place for promoting and selling your apps as well as gaining feedback on them. I guess the given infrastructure will also cut down your costs.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Hello Sven,

thanks for your quick reply! Yes - right now it is only valid for Metro Style Apps and yes a central Microsoft store ist a great thing - also for me! I'm looking forward to a store like this since 10 years...

But Microsoft should not follow the BAD WAY of Apple to close down Windows as an open platform. Now it is only for Metro Apps, but I'm afraid that tomorrow this will be extended to all Windows Apps!

450 Million Installations of Windows 7 in less than 2 years is in my oppinion not only because Windows is just great, but also because it is OPEN for ANY IDEA and ANY APP!!!!

With Visual Studio 2010 and WPF and all those great tools any good Developer can deliver its customers good software for their ideas directly on their Desktop in only a few hours. Going throught a store security process of any kind will eleminate this great possibility! Today Customers are not willing to wait a couple of days or even weeks to get an important minor update to their business App.

Greetings, Markus 

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Hello Markus.

I'm al in favour of centralising Metro Style Apps and Windows Apps that have been tested. I only a Home user.

On a number of occasions I paid for a Windows App only to find out that it messes Windows 7 up, even after uninstalling the App  I have to reinstall Windows 7.

Even though on the site they have a Certified by Microsoft compatible with Windows 7. Only to find out that the certification is for only 1 of their Windows Apps, and not for any others and neither for their updates.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Hello Keith,

your are right. For Consumers the Windows Store is a good thing! I will use it to sell my Consumer Apps.

But it should NOT be the ONLY store to get apps. E.g.: I would love to use my own little small helper apps also on my Windows Phone. But it is not allowed. I have to go throught the App Store to use my own little apps on my own phone...???

And if this starts on my PC now also - it's just a horrible vission!!!

And in the area of business apps: e.g. The boss of a company, I develop business apps for, likes to have a little app, displaying only some accumulated important values on a single screen. Right now: No Problem - One day development - I sign the app with my private key - a mail with a small attached single click setup - the boss is happy - I get good money. The future: Developing an special app for a single person is just not possible because I would have to go through a security process taking hours or even days or weeks, in the case of USA this includes, going throught the deapness of USA software and encryption laws - for me as a german developer without any knowledge of laws ...??? For one single small installation...???

Greetings, Markus

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:42 PM
  • [...] in the case of USA this includes, going throught the deapness of USA software and encryption laws - for me as a german developer without any knowledge of laws ...??? For one single small installation...???

Interesting point. Under the law of which country will the trading come? Under the law of the particular state where the app was bought or where it has been developed? Or of the US in every case?

• Edited by Sven R. Kunze Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:49 PM typo
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Interesting point. Under the law of which country will the trading come? Under the law of the particular state where the app was bought or where it has been developed? Or of the US in every case?

I think this is not desided yet for the Microsoft Store... Microsoft could offer stores in every country - like Amazon.

(For the Apple Store it is the US law in any case. So if you have a german App, developed in germany, sold only to german audience, you still have to be conform with the US laws for exporting Apps to germany including going throught all US govermental customs stuff especially if your app is using encryption for other things than passwords and personal health data. At least it was like this one year ago. So your are looking at about two month, excluded the time apple needed!)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:03 PM