Clustered SQL Instances in Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way to setup a clustered SQL instance (not Always On) in Azure? I followed the instructions here:-

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dfurman/archive/2014/04/27/using-storage-spaces-on-an-azure-vm-cluster-for-sql-server-storage.aspx

But cannot attach the disk. It always comes up as failed.

Is there a way to do this? 

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Andrew

• Moved by Saeid Hasani Friday, July 11, 2014 9:12 AM Azure related question.
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:48 PM

All replies

• have you tried these ? you can check under hardware and storage part...

http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2013/06/04/the-top-10-things-to-know-when-running-sql-server-workloads-on-windows-azure-virtual-machines/

Raju Rasagounder Sr MSSQL DBA

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Monday, July 14, 2014 9:47 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:23 PM
  • Hi Andrew Pruski,

As other post, in Windows Azure platform, SQL Server Failover Clustering is not supported. If you want to deploy SQL Server in a high availability configuration, you can configure AlwaysOn Availability Groups or database mirroring , logshipping. At the moment, If you run AlwaysOn Availability Groups, it does not support availability group listeners in Windows Azure VMs. This is because Windows Azure networking does not support assigning multiple IP addresses to the same VM or allow the IP addresses to fail over from one VM to another, which is required by the listener.

For more information, see:  how to configure Windows failover cluster in Azure for alwayson Availability Groups.

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Girish Prajwal Friday, December 5, 2014 6:21 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Hi Sofiya,

not sure what you mean by "does not support availability group listeners in Windows Azure VMs'.

this has been supported for some time already, for steps in configuring the listener, see: Tutorial: Listener Configuration for AlwaysOn Availability Groups

for the statement of support, see: High Availability and Disaster Recovery for SQL Server in Azure Virtual Machines

Cheers,

JuneT

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:29 AM
    Answerer
  • I've managed to attach clustered disks to my instance of SQL Server.

I did this by attaching them to another server and then using the ISCSI initiator to create virtual disks and then presented them to both nodes.

This allow me to use them as clustered disks and install a clustered instance of SQL Server in Azure.

Next problem is that I cannot ping the Cluster's virtual IP address. I suspect that I'll have to go through the tutorial that JuneT mentioned below.

Monday, July 14, 2014 12:00 PM
  • out of curiosity, why not just go for an AlwaysOn setup? assuming you get the cluster up and running with some workaround, chances are it's an unsupported configuration for SQL VMs in Azure.

Monday, July 14, 2014 12:43 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm trying to re-create an existing solution in Azure for testing purposes. I have an existing cluster which an Always On availability group will be added to to asynchronously replicate for DR.

I'm not sure it can be done to be honest, I cannot seem to be able to ping the cluster IP address.

Monday, July 14, 2014 2:18 PM