none
Running VS 2015 Update 3 - "Object not set to an instance of an object" on New Projects

Question

• Hi,

I got this error so I downloaded any updates and did a a "Repair".   After I rebooted I was able to Run VS 2015 as "Admin" and created a project.

If open VS again I get the error.  Does anyone know of way to see what error is happening exactly? I tried looking in the events but nothing.

Repeated the "Repair", reboot, works the first time only then I get the error on subsequent tries.

Thanks, Dave.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, it looks like some factors in VS or some software on the computer that affect this issue, since after repair, it works fine, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Delete or rename the following folders:

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

2. Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the following commands and after each command, open VS to check this issue again:

• devenv /safemode: run vs with safe mode, if this works fine, which means one or some installed extensions affect this issue, go to Tools-Extension and updates-Installed, remove the installed extension one by one to find the culprit.
    • devenv /resetuserdata: clean up the old user data
    • devenv /resetsettings: reset the customized setting to the default setting, if you want to keep the current setting, you need to export it before resetting it, please go to Tool-Import and Export Settings…

3. Perform a clean boot follow the steps from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 then re-run the VS as administrator and check this issue again.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Sorry to trouble you again, does your issue is solved or not? If not, please feel free to let me know.

If it is solved, could you please share your solution in here, that will help other community members who meet the same or similar issue, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 9:01 AM