locked
Unable to configure Search SP2013 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have recently migrated a site from SP2010 to SP2013.

    Web applications seem to work properly but have not been able to configure Search.

    SharePoint 2013 and SQL 2012 SP1 run on different servers with 12GB and 8GB respectively. Site is not "live" so not running with any load. CPU is under 15% usage.

    I have followed many guides on setting up Search using GUI and powershell but have not been successful as the configuration hangs.

    One of the scripts I have used is :

     ================================================================

    # Get App Pool
    $saAppPoolName = "SearchAppPool_1"

    # Search Specifics, we are single server farm
    $searchServerName = (Get-ChildItem env:computername).value
    $serviceAppName = "New Search Service Application"
    $searchDBName = "SearchService_DB1"


    # Grab the Appplication Pool for Service Application Endpoint
    $saAppPool = Get-SPServiceApplicationPool $saAppPoolName

    # Start Search Service Instances
    Write-Host "Starting Search Service Instances..."
    Start-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance $searchServerName
    Start-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryAndSiteSettingsServiceInstance $searchServerName

    # Create the Search Service Application and Proxy
    Write-Host "Creating Search Service Application and Proxy..."
    $searchServiceApp = New-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -Name $serviceAppName -ApplicationPool $saAppPoolName -DatabaseName $searchDBName
    $searchProxy = New-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplicationProxy -Name "$serviceAppName Proxy" -SearchApplication $searchServiceApp

    # Clone the default Topology (which is empty) and create a new one and then activate it
    Write-Host "Configuring Search Component Topology..."
    $clone = $searchServiceApp.ActiveTopology.Clone()
    $searchServiceInstance = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchAdminComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $searchServiceInstance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchContentProcessingComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $searchServiceInstance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchAnalyticsProcessingComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $searchServiceInstance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchCrawlComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $searchServiceInstance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchIndexComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $searchServiceInstance
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryProcessingComponent –SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $searchServiceInstance
    $clone.Activate()

    ==============================================================================

    This scripts hangs when it reaches

    $SearchServiceApp = New-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -Name $SearchServiceName -ApplicationPool $ServiceAppPool -DatabaseName $DatabaseName

    Service Application Service gets created but has "Error" status.

    Administration Status reports:

    "The search service is not able to connect to the machine that hosts the administration component. Verify that the administration component 'aa2e0233-f044-4ced-ab01-573e851e1c51' in search application 'Search Service Application 1' is in a good state and try again."

    Trying to remove Service applications using powershell below also hangs. 

    $srv = Get-SPServiceApplication -Name "Search Service Application"
    Remove-SPServiceApplication $srv
    Remove-SPServiceApplication $srv -RemoveData

    Where can I check what is causing the issue.?

    Thanks in advance,

    SN

    Friday, January 24, 2014 4:35 AM

Answers

  • There seemed to be a  lot of issues with the SharePoint farm so I ended up creating a new one from scratch. Luckily it was a migration test site.

    It may have been related to not applying CU's.

    Ensure all Cumulative updates are installed prior to any migration or site implementation. CU Available from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/jj891062.aspx

    Thanks for your responses.

    • Proposed as answer by Technology Farmer Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by star.wars Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:14 AM

All replies

  • Check the following,

    1. SharePoint Administration is running under services.msc

    2. Application Server Administration Service Timer Job is enabled, if not enable and ensure its set to run every minute. You can check this under 'Monitoring -> Time Jobs -> Job Definition'


    Please mark the reply as answer if you think it has solved your query/issue.

    Friday, January 24, 2014 4:55 AM
  • Hi Parthasarathy,

    Thank you for the response.

    SharePoint Admin is running.

    The Application Server Timer Job was by default set to run every 1 minute but the next Start Time is 17/01/2014 which is 7 days back.

    thanks

    SN

    Friday, January 24, 2014 5:53 AM
  • Is the Application Server time job enabled? Looks to be some issue with the same...probably disable and enable it once and try.

    Please mark the reply as answer if you think it has solved your query/issue.

    Friday, January 24, 2014 7:22 AM
  • There seemed to be a  lot of issues with the SharePoint farm so I ended up creating a new one from scratch. Luckily it was a migration test site.

    It may have been related to not applying CU's.

    Ensure all Cumulative updates are installed prior to any migration or site implementation. CU Available from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/jj891062.aspx

    Thanks for your responses.

    • Proposed as answer by Technology Farmer Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by star.wars Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:14 AM