New to mobile web application RRS feed

• Question

• User-1513798579 posted

Hi - I am new to mobile web application and I would like to know the following details

1. Does Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit is available for Visual studio 2008?. I have installed the visual studio 2008 templates from http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/09/17/tip-trick-asp-net-mobile-development-with-visual-studio-2008.aspx and is that enough to start work on mobile application?

2. How should I ensure that my web application works with all different protocols (ex HTML, WML , cHTML, XHTML). Is there any tools to check it?

3. How to deploy the mobile web application in IIS. Should I need to take any steps to make sure it works for other different protocols?

4. Any tips & tricks to develop mobile web application.

Thanks in advance,

Shan

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:00 AM

Answers

• User977690511 posted

I am new too.  I developed an application meant for mobiles using standard ASP.NET and just making sure that the content doesn't occupy too much screen area and limiting to just basic HTML controls only: buttons and input boxes.  It worked beautifully as I developed and tested it on my Nokia Symbian phone.

When I connected the first BlackBerry to it, it failed.

As far as I know ASP.NET is more or less standard HTML.  It over-uses FORM variables and cookies a bit to pass the variables from page to page to give the developer a pseudo Windows form-like application.

Is there anything special coming down the HTTP stream that would knock out a BlackBerry?  Or is using System.Web.Mobile a must?  What magic does System.Web.Mobile do?  Does Visual Web Developer 2008 Express support the mobile templates?

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 10:36 PM