none
Can my SQL Server trigger be bypassed by updates on my bound MS Access form? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a MS Access application with linked tables to a SQL Server 2012 backend.

I was replacing a "Before_Update" data macro by an "INSTEAD OF UDATE" trigger in SQL Server.

When I test the trigger in SQL Server, everything works perfect !!!!

HOWEVER, when I do some changes on my bound MS Access form, changes that are NOT allowed by the trigger, well then these changes are performed anyhow, when they shouldn't. 

Can my SQL Server trigger be bypassed by updates on my bound MS Access form?

Any clues of what might go wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Wim

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Wim,

Based on my test in Access 2013 with SQL Server 2012, the trigger works fine, just the Form or table datasheet view not be refreshed.

You could refresh the form by using From.Refresh method.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 1, 2016 5:51 AM

All replies

• I think that you cannot "bypass" a trigger in the SQL Server just by using a bound form. You mention "changes that are not allowed". Perhaps what you see is related to the way you handle these exceptions. You should post the SQL (table definition and trigger) and some example data so that we can try to understand this issue.

Matthias Kläy, Kläy Computing AG

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 11:28 PM
  • Hi Wim,

Based on my test in Access 2013 with SQL Server 2012, the trigger works fine, just the Form or table datasheet view not be refreshed.

You could refresh the form by using From.Refresh method.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 1, 2016 5:51 AM