none
Unable to Initialize adapter with IddCxAdapterInitAsync failing with error code 0xC00000BB RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to create virtual display Adapter , where in we are calling IddCxAdapterInitAsync  , which is failing with error code 

0xC00000BB. the same user mode driver is working testmode on . Can any one help what we are missing ...........

Thanks!!
    Thursday, April 4, 2019 12:13 PM

Answers

• Are you trying to run the IddCx driver without actual hardware on a physical bus? I have never heard nor seen any statement from Microsoft saying that the current version of the WDDM IddCx Indirect Display driver model works without actual hardware on a physical bus (like e.g. USB).

Also I have never seen any IddCx driver working without actual hardware except the three below:
    1. Microsoft Windows own built in Miracast driver.
    2. One company has written a bus driver emulating USB to make IddCx work without hardware.
    3. Two companies (including ours) use a more elaborate approach to achieve the same result.

I would be very much interested to hear either a clear statement from Microsoft or hear from anybody who made IddCx drivers work successfully without actual hardware on a physical bus.

PS: Don't be confused about many companies out there in the market place having virtual WDDM IddCx drivers operating without hardware. It is very likely our WDDM IddCx driver listed underneath (3) above. It is used by a two digit number of well known companies/products worldwide.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:08 AM
  • You cannot be 100% clear if without hardware its not working.
    IddCx docs are very minimalistic and completely silent about this topic.
    Please correct me in case this has changed.
    Maybe somebody already has made it work, but we don't know it.
    Just that I have never seen anybody among my customers making it work without hardware until today.

The approach described above was purely pragmatic, experimental and a bit cumbersome but finite.

DisplayLink website stated: IddCx was a joint development between DisplayLink and Microsoft.
    DisplayLink USB display IddCx driver is working even when Windows Test Mode is OFF.
    (2 above) Write a WDF bus driver emulating a USB bus with a DisplayLink device connected.
    (3 above) For maximum elegance, reduce the bus driver to a small piece of bus logic which does not even appear as a separate driver to the outside observer any more.
    Friday, April 12, 2019 4:57 PM

All replies

• Are you trying to run the IddCx driver without actual hardware on a physical bus? I have never heard nor seen any statement from Microsoft saying that the current version of the WDDM IddCx Indirect Display driver model works without actual hardware on a physical bus (like e.g. USB).

Also I have never seen any IddCx driver working without actual hardware except the three below:
    1. Microsoft Windows own built in Miracast driver.
    2. One company has written a bus driver emulating USB to make IddCx work without hardware.
    3. Two companies (including ours) use a more elaborate approach to achieve the same result.

I would be very much interested to hear either a clear statement from Microsoft or hear from anybody who made IddCx drivers work successfully without actual hardware on a physical bus.

PS: Don't be confused about many companies out there in the market place having virtual WDDM IddCx drivers operating without hardware. It is very likely our WDDM IddCx driver listed underneath (3) above. It is used by a two digit number of well known companies/products worldwide.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Hi Marcel Rüdinger,

thanks for the information . yes after digging into Iddcx stuff we are now clear that without hardware its not possible to make the driver work.

Regarding point 2 , if we emulate a USB device , we will be able to make it work ?!. Actually we are doing it to make monitor go Off /On . So now , do we need to make a usb monitor device and for this device we need to write IddCx driver (Is it what this approach is all about?).

We will have to try this approach.

Regarding point 3 , What is the approach , if can give a hint may try on it(If it is possible or reasonable).

If above were the cases, How we are able to run it on a Testmode Win10.(Why would it was made possible by Windows only in test mode??).

May be am posing too many questions , please bare with me..!!

thanks,
    Venkat

Friday, April 12, 2019 4:46 AM
  • You cannot be 100% clear if without hardware its not working.
    IddCx docs are very minimalistic and completely silent about this topic.
    Please correct me in case this has changed.
    Maybe somebody already has made it work, but we don't know it.
    Just that I have never seen anybody among my customers making it work without hardware until today.

The approach described above was purely pragmatic, experimental and a bit cumbersome but finite.

DisplayLink website stated: IddCx was a joint development between DisplayLink and Microsoft.
    DisplayLink USB display IddCx driver is working even when Windows Test Mode is OFF.
    (2 above) Write a WDF bus driver emulating a USB bus with a DisplayLink device connected.
    (3 above) For maximum elegance, reduce the bus driver to a small piece of bus logic which does not even appear as a separate driver to the outside observer any more.
    Friday, April 12, 2019 4:57 PM
  • Hi Marcel Rudinger,

thank you for the information . We will try the above mentioned approach.

-Venkat

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 5:33 AM