none
Detect only a hand/arm object by its depth without gesture or skeletal recognition RRS feed

• Question

• In my application, I am trying to ONLY track the arm of a person to be used to click buttons, drag objects, and other such things. I know that the Kinect SDK currently does not support this, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any 3rd party libraries that will allow me to do this. I do not need to actually recognize that it is an arm or hand, and I don't need any gestures at the moment such as pointing, so I'm wondering if there actually is a way to detect the shape by depth alone using the Kinect SDK. Anyone have any ideas?
    Monday, September 16, 2013 9:12 PM

Answers

• Im not certain what your requirements actually are - the SDK supports the Move/Grip/Press actions using the skeleton, depth frames (look at the 'Control Basics-WPF' in the toolkit browser). Take a look at the IInteractionClient.

Now if you are wanting to do that simply with the depth image and nothing else (according to the subject of your post)...I would think it would be a pretty difficult task.  But you could probably start with something like the OpenCV components to try and figure out where a persons arm is.

Don't have enough info from your post - but it seems like you want to do exactly what the SDK already provides...

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:38 PM

All replies

• Basically I just wanted to be able to select items in a menu by hovering something over that area, most likely an arm/hand.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Im not certain what your requirements actually are - the SDK supports the Move/Grip/Press actions using the skeleton, depth frames (look at the 'Control Basics-WPF' in the toolkit browser). Take a look at the IInteractionClient.

Now if you are wanting to do that simply with the depth image and nothing else (according to the subject of your post)...I would think it would be a pretty difficult task.  But you could probably start with something like the OpenCV components to try and figure out where a persons arm is.

Don't have enough info from your post - but it seems like you want to do exactly what the SDK already provides...

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:38 PM