Need help installing right graphics driver on Windows 32bit

Question

• Hi,

I installed the Windows 8 developer preview on my 4 years old Dell laptop which has NVIDIA QuadroFX M350 graphics card. After the installation I am not able to get the highest resolution this card used to get me. I looked into hardware management and the graphics card is not listed there instead, it is using Microsoft basic display adapter at 1024X768. Is there a way to use higher resolution if the driver is not available for this card? At this resolution i am not able to enjoy the awesomeness of Windows 8.

Looking forward to some solution here. Thanks

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:49 PM

Answers

• I was able to get better resolution by installing the driver from dell.com for Vista 32 bit. I tried to install Xp 32 driver for the graphics card but it didnot work. Now the Windows 8 experience is much better. thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers!!

Amit Jadhav Northwest Service Manager www.bioseroinc.com
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:17 AM

All replies

• On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:49:39 +0000, aj4112 wrote:

I installed the Windows 8 developer preview on my 4 years old Dell laptop which has NVIDIA QuadroFX M350 graphics card. After the installation I am not able to get the highest resolution this card used to get me. I looked into hardware management and the graphics card is not listed there instead, it is using Microsoft basic display adapter at 1024X768. Is there a way to use higher resolution if the driver is not available for this card? At this resolution i am not able to enjoy the awesomeness of Windows 8.

Check the nVidia web site for a Windows 7 driver and see if that will
    install for you.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Hardware:  The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

• Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:04 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:51 PM
  • The same thing is happening to me with my old Gateway C-140x with ATI Radeon x2300.  It dosent support the old graphics driver for x64.

I get a "the driver selected for this device does not support this version of windows" warning if I try to use the driver.  Does anyone know of a way to edit the existing driver to work with windows 8

• Edited by mskurnik Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:54 PM
  • As Paul mentioned above in this scenario it is a good idea to go to the vendors website and download the equivalent Windows 7 driver.  If Windows Update is not picking up a new driver, then chances are its not fully compatible with Windows 8 (Windows Developer Preview)

I had a similar issue with an HP 6710b laptop using a G945 (x3100) Intel Chipset.  This driver was not natively installed nor via Windows Update but I was able to install using the Intel driver software.  However, after installation I did end up with a black screen and had to forcibly close down.  Luckily after a reboot though it appeared the driver had successfully installed.  I have had one BSOD since after a resume, so YMMV.

With all this said, of course this should be expected with early Milestone 3 pre beta software.

Cheers

Janson

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:03 PM
  • As Paul mentioned above in this scenario it is a good idea to go to the vendors website and download the equivalent Windows 7 driver.  If Windows Update is not picking up a new driver, then chances are its not fully compatible with Windows 8 (Windows Developer Preview)

I had a similar issue with an HP 6710b laptop using a G945 (x3100) Intel Chipset.  This driver was not natively installed nor via Windows Update but I was able to install using the Intel driver software.  However, after installation I did end up with a black screen and had to forcibly close down.  Luckily after a reboot though it appeared the driver had successfully installed.  I have had one BSOD since after a resume, so YMMV.

With all this said, of course this should be expected with early Milestone 3 pre beta software.

Cheers

Janson

Thanks Paul and Janson for quick responses

I tried installing the closest windows 7 the driver for this card but during installation it fails to detect it as a NVIDIA card and the install doesn't go through. So at this there is nothing much i can do? Does the Microsoft have similar driver like Basic Display adapter driver(which allows only upto 1024x768) with higher resolution?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:18 PM
  • I was able to get mine up to 1280x720 (it should be 1366x768 but close enough) by downloading the drivers from gateway.  Try downloading win 7 x64 drivers from dell.

Im going to try a few driver overclock programs to inject the 1366 resolution

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:29 PM
  • I was able to get better resolution by installing the driver from dell.com for Vista 32 bit. I tried to install Xp 32 driver for the graphics card but it didnot work. Now the Windows 8 experience is much better. thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers!!

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:17 AM
  • i try installing graphic driver for hp 6720s  from hp.com but the error is "my system does not have the minimum requirement for installing the software ". is their anyway i could use a higher resolution.

Aguda H

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:24 PM
  • which graphic card do you have? You need at least a DirectX9 card with WDDM1.0 Vista drivers. XP drivers can't be used only longer in Windows 8.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:57 PM