Is it possible to put a ListView inside the AppBar?

Question

• I'm trying to put a favorites list inside the top app bar and can't seem to get a ListView to work up there. Can this even be done or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Todd

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Only AppBarCommand can be placed in AppBar.

The command can be one of the following types:"button", "toggle", "flyout", "separator".

I advise you place favorites list into content area to get customer better experience.

Please refer to Quickstart: adding an app bar with commands for more details.

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by SpatacoliMVP Friday, April 20, 2012 3:29 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 1:58 AM
  • I unfortunately don't have control over the design and UX of this project. Should I just continue with building out a custom list using typical HTML controls?

Thanks,

Todd

Friday, April 20, 2012 3:31 AM
  • So it isn't that you can't put a ListView in the app bar it's that it isn't recommended. My problem was just that I wasn't using the ListView properly. It works fine in the appbar.

Todd

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Hey Todd,

I would recommend that if you are using the listview that you place it in the top appbar and leave the bottom for more standard controls (ala Metro IE).  That will ensure your app has a similar feel to other Metro apps.  Make sense?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Yeah, that makes sense and the top app bar is where the list is located. I agree with keeping to the spirit of Metro, but when you are just the programmer there's only so much you can do to push the designers into Metro.

Todd

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:14 AM