none
SmartTag Add-in for excel 2013 C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I understand Microsoft has removed Smart Tag feature from office 2010 onward replacing with Additional Action. But if I want to write c# add-in similar to SmartTag how can I do it?

Additional Actions are shown with right click on cell, I want show something like smart tag circle near selected cell using C# add-in which will display my WPF menu as an SmartTag actions.

Can anybody please put some light on it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Regards

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:50 AM

Answers

• It is useless in that case.

They are based on the Office smart tags. So, if they are not supported by the office, nobody can help you.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Hi UVBrain,

Have you got any response from that forum?

I agree with Eugene. Smart tags are deprecated in Excel 2010 and Word 2010. Although you can still use the related APIs in projects for Excel 2010 and Word 2010, these applications do not automatically recognize terms, and recognized terms are no longer underlined. Users must trigger recognition and view custom actions associated with text by right-clicking the text and clicking the Additional Actionson the context menu.

You can get more detail from link below:
    Smart Tags Overview 

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Excel doesn't provide anything for that. You may try to use Windows API functions.

Also, as a workaround, you may customize the context menu dynamically based on the cell content. See Customizing Context Menus in Office 2010 for more information.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:02 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thanks for reply.

I would have gone with Additional Actions instead of context menu customization if I have to provide my menu on user right click operation.

My requirement is whenever any cell is selected it should show some square/circle icon and on clicking it, it will show my menu.

Can you please point me to some Windows API functions for this requirement if any?

I understand what I am asking is very difficult to achieve if we go through below url but there should be some way, I can show some control on selected cell.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/cc179167.aspx#BKMK_WhatsRemoved

Its challenging and really need lots of efforts. I really thankful to all of you for your support in advance.

Thanks!

Regards

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:36 PM
  • Did you have time to take a look link below?

http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-smart-tags.php

Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:48 AM
  • It is not free/open source but commercial tool kit.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:13 AM
  • It is useless in that case.

They are based on the Office smart tags. So, if they are not supported by the office, nobody can help you.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:30 AM
  • ExcelDNA claim to have APIs which can show SmartTag in Office Excel 2013

http://exceldna.codeplex.com/

https://github.com/Excel-DNA/Add-In-Manager/blob/master/NetOffice%201.5.1.2%20%5BRC%5D/Source/Excel/DispatchInterfaces/SmartTags.cs

I have asked same question to their forum yesterday but yet to hear from anybody over there.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:40 AM
  • Hi UVBrain,

Have you got any response from that forum?

I agree with Eugene. Smart tags are deprecated in Excel 2010 and Word 2010. Although you can still use the related APIs in projects for Excel 2010 and Word 2010, these applications do not automatically recognize terms, and recognized terms are no longer underlined. Users must trigger recognition and view custom actions associated with text by right-clicking the text and clicking the Additional Actionson the context menu.

You can get more detail from link below:
    Smart Tags Overview 

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:55 AM