Azure download VHD fails RRS feed

• Question

• I just lost access to an Ubuntu VM on azure, and I am attempting to download the VHD to another VM to recover data from the disk.

I'm using the azure command line tool to accomplish this. I've imported the publishsettings file and am able to view the VMs/storage accounts. However when I attempt to download the vhd the transfer always fails. The error I'm getting is

error:   getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND
    info:    Error information has been recorded to azure.err
    error:   storage blob download command failed

To me this sounds like a connectivity issue, but I can't understand why this would happen when transferring to a VM on azure. I ran the command using debug mode to see if this would provide more information, and it seems that it retries the connection about 30 times when it first fails. The file transfer seems to fail at different points, sometimes reaching as much as 3GB (out of 30), other times failing after a few hundred MB.

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening?

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As I understand you have lost access to your Ubuntu VM and want to recover data from the disk.

I'd suggest that you got the MS Azure portal, shut down the VM.

Create a new VM.

After shutting down your Ubuntu VM, you'll have the disk detached.

You may try to attach that to the newly created VM as a data disk and then take a back-up of files you need.

Or, you may try using Clumsyleaf CloudXplorer software (3rd party)

Navigate to your storage account and create a new container.

In the tool, right-click on the VHD file(s) and copy it to the back-up container.

Go to the disk section on the Azure portal and create new disk(s).

Navigate to the storage account in the prompt and choose the copied VHD for creating new disk(s).

Attach the data disk to the newly created VM.

This way your original disk is also safe as we're just copying and backing that up (and not moving).

Hope this helps!

- Arvind

• Proposed as answer by Arvind S. Iyer Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Manu Rekhar Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:01 AM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I understand you have lost access to your Ubuntu VM and want to recover data from the disk.

I'd suggest that you got the MS Azure portal, shut down the VM.

Create a new VM.

After shutting down your Ubuntu VM, you'll have the disk detached.

You may try to attach that to the newly created VM as a data disk and then take a back-up of files you need.

Or, you may try using Clumsyleaf CloudXplorer software (3rd party)

Navigate to your storage account and create a new container.

In the tool, right-click on the VHD file(s) and copy it to the back-up container.

Go to the disk section on the Azure portal and create new disk(s).

Navigate to the storage account in the prompt and choose the copied VHD for creating new disk(s).

Attach the data disk to the newly created VM.

This way your original disk is also safe as we're just copying and backing that up (and not moving).

Hope this helps!

- Arvind

• Proposed as answer by Arvind S. Iyer Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Manu Rekhar Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:01 AM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:44 AM
  • That does help thanks. That's a much easier way of doing this. 
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

You could download the vhd file form portal.

Navigate to STORAGE and then the storage account in which your virtual disk is created. Select CONTAINERS (at the top), open the container named "vhds". Just click the vhd you want and select DOWNLOAD (at the bottom of the page).

Meanwhile, you could copy VHDs between storage accounts, please refer to:

http://michaelwasham.com/2012/08/07/copying-vhds-and-other-blobs-between-storage-accounts/

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:19 AM